Shifter boss thread spec

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24574

What is the thread spec on the bosses to which the gear leavers attach?

I have a suspicion that they are not metric on my pinarello.

Montello":31avu9dr said:
What is the thread spec on the bosses to which the gear leavers attach?

I have a suspicion that they are not metric on my pinarello.

They are typically M5 but having said that, there have been a few obscure bosses over the years. Do you have a pic of the boss?

What issue exactly are you having with them?

The threads were a bit stiff, I think when the frame was painted some paint may have gone in the holes.

When I tried it clean them using a spare bolt it didn't feel right, so I stopped that.

When I have used the bolts that go with the levers no problem.

The difference in feel of the thread made me wonder is the tpi was more fine than standard.

Montello":hdr9dkx7 said:
The threads were a bit stiff, I think when the frame was painted some paint may have gone in the holes.

When I tried it clean them using a spare bolt it didn't feel right, so I stopped that.

When I have used the bolts that go with the leavers no problem.

The difference in feel of the thread made me wonder is the tpi was odd.

If it's freshly painted, it should have a tap put through them first; a bolt in a thread with paint will stick. Do the original lever bolts fit something like the bottle boss threads as these are the same M5 size?

The bolts with the levers are in after a bit of tooing and froing to clean the threads.

Just the spare bolt I used seemed to bind a bit after a few turns.

Edit: just tried the gear lever bolt in a bottle cage boss and the vice versa all fits fine. Perhaps the spare bolt I was using for cleaning was duff, dropped it back in the tin now.

Not sure I could have tapped the holes to clean them as the holes are blind, probably only 6mm deep.

Can you get taps with "square" ends to tap shallow holes.

I'd say the hole is 9mm deep ...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back