Wet weather clothing, recommendations?

bikenut2010

Senior Retro Guru
OK

I need to keep riding AND dry, so forked out for Sealskin socks and gloves
The socks I bought ( my size ) were so short they crippled my toes and so bulky I couldn't get my shoes on!

The gloves have funny little rubber blobs on them which I thought were for grip but they don't grip, they slip... and no palm padding.
4 hours ride in the rain today, gloves soaking wet inside ( the shop claimed you could put them in a bucket of water and still not get wet ) they were tight at the cuff with the rain jacket sleeves velcro'd over the top...presume they get so sweaty inside because they can't be waterproof AND breathe.

any one found something that works??? :roll:

Staying dry is near impossible IME, but at least you can try and stay warm. Neoprene overshoes and gloves work well in the wet as long as you don't go below about 3-4 degrees (well it worked for me at the weekend for 4 hours). That said my wife swears that Sealskinz Activity gloves are pretty good too - but she only uses them for dog walking!

forget about keeping your feet dry! i have waterproof shell jacket over a merino helly top, waterproof trousers over rab trousers or shorts (depending how cold) - but the trousers ride up and let the water drip on to my socks and my waterproof shoes keep the water in :S

may try longer trousers.....but i dont hold much hope for that solution.

definitely need a full set of mudguards - have the seat post mounted rear and the crud catcher on the downtube, but i still get a lot of flick and spray.

i have windproof gloves which get wet through rain or sweat and stink.
i hate them. i prefer fingerless - but will move to maybe a thicker glove come deep winter.

i find if i'm well waterproofed, i sweat so much im soaking anyway.
makes a nonsense of it.
best off packing a towel and just wrapping up warm with a spare pair of pants and socks - make sure your bag has a waterproof cover too :p

sealskins

Re sealskin gloves.My other half went through three pairs of these before finding a pair that worked properly. Return them to sealskin direct. We got our replacements by return post. They are a superb company to deal with.The ones she has now we tested by wearing them and immersing her hands in a bucket of water. After five minutes they came out dry as a bone.The problems seem to be around the fingers with the faulty ones.I really cant speak too highly of their complaints dept. Dont bother with the shop.Sealskin seem more than happy to help if things go wrong. They also do bike specific gloves with padded palms so am not sure what you were sold but not what you should have been
Regards
Peter

My son is the high milage roadie in our house (I have a lot of catching up to do) and he swears by neoprene gloves. For the last couple of years he has been using Specialized which start to fall apart from time to time, but some quick work with the super glue soon fixes that. This year he has Casttelli.

I discovered some Casttelli toe covers, which just go over the front part of the cycling shoe. They were on offer at Wiggle, so I risked a couple of pairs, and they are superb. However, in really wet weather the rain can still get into the shoe, so sooner or later I'll have to invest in some proper shoe covers.

Well when I am out in the wet I wear BBB neoprene over shoes, wet weather gloves, and Alltura Jacket and water proof trousers. I stay warm but not dry.

My wife wears the same kit and she finds the same. We both have mudguards too. Staying dry is impossible. Stayiong warm is possible.

BBB do good hand and foot wear. Altura do the best jackets and trousers.

Re: sealskins

half cog":2lor0krs said:
Re sealskin gloves.My other half went through three pairs of these before finding a pair that worked properly. Return them to sealskin direct. We got our replacements by return post. They are a superb company to deal with.The ones she has now we tested by wearing them and immersing her hands in a bucket of water. After five minutes they came out dry as a bone.The problems seem to be around the fingers with the faulty ones.I really cant speak too highly of their complaints dept. Dont bother with the shop.Sealskin seem more than happy to help if things go wrong. They also do bike specific gloves with padded palms so am not sure what you were sold but not what you should have been
Regards
Peter

Just wrote to SealSkinz via email so hope to hear back!

Back