'New' bike - need help fixing it up a bit

Underdog

Dirt Disciple
Well i dont really know anything about bikes but i went and got one anyway..

Its a Team Dawes Racer (mid 80s i think)

12436210.jpg

Needs a bit of work, the rear deraillier (Sachs Huret Eco) isnt keeping the chain tight so the chain slips when you try and ride it

24047341.jpg

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7449/20296946.jpg[/img[

:(

Think it could possible be something as simple as replacing this spring thing..?

[img]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4169/23286480.jpg

From my untrained eye this is what it looks like as i can pull the derailler back by hand which makes the chain tight

24341188.jpg

but then when the pedals are moved round it quickly slops backforward making the chain slip again. If it is the spring where could i get a replacement from?

Looks like the derailleur is incorrectly mounted, because of this the jockey wheel cage is at the near limit of its range of movement.

It needs to be rotated anti-clockwise: in your last photo you can see there is a hole in the steel plate (on which the derailleur is mounted) at about 12 o'clock, it should be nearer to 9 o'clock.

There will be a corresponding hole in the dropout to bolt the derailleur to the frame, otherwise it will come off when you remove the wheel. The hanger needs to be mounted so that its slot aligns with the dropout and doesn't foul the axle when taking the wheel out.

It would probably benefit from a clean too; when you take the derailleur off, check that the jockey wheel cage moves freely and doesn't stick.

Otherwise it looks like a nice, tidy bike. Have you adjusted the saddle height? If that is how you ride it, then the frame is too big for you.

There should be a special 'nut and bolt' in the small hole in the gear hanger which locates in the top end of the slot in the dropout and holds the mech in correct alignment and also secures it to the frame when the wheel is removed. If this doesn't cure the chain slack then it should be possible to reposition the spring onto the other 'notch' which will tighten it or even rotate the spring one complete revolution anticlockwise.

ScillySuffolk":jt1g7s6d said:
Looks like the derailleur is incorrectly mounted, because of this the jockey wheel cage is at the near limit of its range of movement.

It needs to be rotated anti-clockwise: in your last photo you can see there is a hole in the steel plate (on which the derailleur is mounted) at about 12 o'clock, it should be nearer to 9 o'clock.

There will be a corresponding hole in the dropout to bolt the derailleur to the frame, otherwise it will come off when you remove the wheel. The hanger needs to be mounted so that its slot aligns with the dropout and doesn't foul the axle when taking the wheel out.

It would probably benefit from a clean too; when you take the derailleur off, check that the jockey wheel cage moves freely and doesn't stick.

Otherwise it looks like a nice, tidy bike. Have you adjusted the saddle height? If that is how you ride it, then the frame is too big for you.

Thanks!! Will have a go at that tomorrow. Only just got the bike so havnt adjusted anything yet.

WIill report back when ive given it a go!

Just had a look and im confused as to where this bolt is supposed to locate in the frame on the dropout.. theres nothing for it to slot into on the dropout?

20121111192730.jpg

I'd listen to old Ned/Shaun before me.

I only had one bike with a separate gear hanger, perhaps mine was a bodge and a hole had been drilled in the dropout in lieu of the proper set-up, as seen in Shaun's photos.

EDIT
Our posts crossed: that confirms it, you need the special bolt as suggested by Shaun.

ScillySuffolk":3e9g98hj said:
I'd listen to Shaun before me.

I only had one bike with a separate gear hanger, perhaps mine was a bodge and a hole had been drilled in the dropout in lieu of the proper set-up, as seen in Shaun's photos.

EDIT
Our posts crossed: that confirms it, you need the special bolt as suggested by Shaun.

any idea where i can get one?

Old Ned":3bg44qi8 said:
There should be a special 'nut and bolt' in the small hole in the gear hanger which locates in the top end of the slot in the dropout and holds the mech in correct alignment and also secures it to the frame when the wheel is removed. If this doesn't cure the chain slack then it should be possible to reposition the spring onto the other 'notch' which will tighten it or even rotate the spring one complete revolution anticlockwise.
I may have a 'nut and bolt' in my 'collection' but it may take a day or two to find out.

Old Ned":e0dwn9rt said:
Old Ned":e0dwn9rt said:
I may have a 'nut and bolt' in my 'collection' but it may take a day or two to find out.
looking at the reverse side of this made it clear to me. Would be hugely appreciated if you have the correct nut and bolt going spare :)

otherwise a whole new rear derailleur isnt exactly going to kill me!

Thanks to everyone for all the help and sorry if i seem a bit special im trying to get used to all the names of all the parts haha

Back