My Frank Herety Columbus SLX

fossyant

Retro Newbie
Thought I'd drop a few pictures of my Frank Herety SLX - frame built for me by Frank Herety of Stockport. Had this machine since 1991/92. Haven't popped it on the Readers bikes as it seems to be full of MTB's. Full Dura-Ace 7400 SIS, Campag Record Carbon Looks (match frame colour) Mavic Ksyriums (new)...

DSCF0897.jpg

DSCF0903.jpg

DSCF0159.jpg

Now that is very nice. I really must get the Mike Kowall out of the shed and on to the road this summer. Even better would be getting the Alan professionally assessed. Like me it started to un-glue. Were the gears on yours originally indexed?

All the 7400 components are original - I got the groupset when building the bike, just as Shimano released the Dura Ace 8 speed (indexed) system.... my club mates said..."Why do you need 8 sprockets" - hmmm 10 now...

The only major changes have been new Cassette Bottom Bracket - Dura-Ace - new TA Chainrings (in Blue). It even has Uniglide sprockets (sourced from the US) although using a HG lockring on the new wheels. It's also running on a Dura Ace 9 speed chain.

STI wasn't invented at the time, and I just haven't got round to updating it - happy with indexed.

some 32 holes da hubs and basic mavic rims would add to the look as well, But those Ksyerium elites are bomb proof.

Now the technical term for a bicycle like that is " Very bleedin' agreeable indeed! "

Myself, I never had the guts to commit to the " dreaded " indexes-with-nowt-else Dura Ace 8 speed. Well done fella!

Funny you should mention DA hubs and mavic - this bike had three sets of wheels - DA hubs and Mavic Open 4CD's, DA Hubs and Wolber Profil 18's plus tubs for TT's and later Hed Jet's on Hope Titanium's.... The Wolber wheel's hubs are like new, so had thought about renewing, but IG hubs are hard to find sprockets for..hence the move to 'new wheel sets'.

A few more pics...

PICT2805.jpg

DSCF0164.jpg

DSCF0173.jpg

DSCF0356.jpg

DSCF0915.jpg

Back