how far have you ridden your retro

photoman125

Dirt Disciple
I'm seriously considering a charity cycle ride from Mine head Somerset to Skegness to raise money for a local children's hospice. Now I'm not an amazing fit racer,just a 50 year old commuter but I need the challenge.
Will probably use one of the Sid Motram lightweight 1960's tourers that I'm rebuilding

I commute on mine, so I do a shade over 100 miles a week when I ride every day. I've done London to Brighton on my 90's Raleigh and the Dunwich Dynamo (116 miles overnight) on my 70's Bob Jackson.

As long as the bike is in good working condition there's no reason why you shouldn't rack up the miles. Mine are really comfy to ride.

This last summer I did 166Km on one day on my Gazelle from 1981. "She" coped with it better than I did. ;)

I used my Koga Grantourer this year as my main audax bike. This included the 1200k Vologda-Onega-Ladoga in Russia and the Silkroad 1200 in Uzbekistan (had to pack the Silkroad after 1050km).
Report on VOL is here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

IMGP5313.jpg

Koga during VOL

IMGP0454.jpg

and during the Silkroad 1200

The Koga was definitely the best choice out of my stable for both events.

Any old bike as long as it is well maintained will get you there.My 1960's Carlton will go as far as i can pedal it ;) :cool:
Folks have toured the globe on a 3 speed bike :idea:

Its not the bike you need to be worried about but you instead!

Build your mileage up and don't go mad getting to one point not knowing if you will be able to do the return journey :(

Rode a 93 mile clubrun in the summer and was fine right up until the 85 mile marker, though riding fast didn't help at all.

retro bikes

In the 1960s i built up an Andre Bertin and once rode 140mls on a Sunday on it . But as they say that was then and now is now.The bike had I still got it would be around 50 years old and would probably be as capable as ever . However yours truly is far from it. Ian raleigh is right. Its not the bike that could be the problem.
Regards
Peter

i commute daily on mine , and re other comments if bike maintained then there is no reason why it wont be any less reliable than a modern bike .

nice ride your planning

My so-called retrobike was bought by my father for me 29 years ago, i expect i have travelled 10,000 miles on it mostly in the first few years. Longest in a day was approx. 150 miles - 110 sunday run followed by a trip out on my own - those were the days!!!

The bike was parked in our attic for 20 years and currently its' longest journey is about 500 yards in that time!

I expect to get a few more miles on it when it is rebuilt - the bike is fine but i have worries about the rider.

I tried to work out my average mph over the time i have owned the bike - my calculations may be a bit off but it might be 0.039 mph! Not counting leap years, I hope to improve on that in the near future.

biggs682":sby53y3w said:
i commute daily on mine , and re other comments if bike maintained then there is no reason why it wont be any less reliable than a modern bike .

nice ride your planning

Same here - my resprayed Raleigh Quasar in tourer/commuter guise gets me to work and back every day with no bother. I've also done a couple of 100-ish mile rides up to the Midlands on it to visit family.

David

Back