Lubricants

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
This is a bike related post before you get too excited by the title!

What are the best lubricants - oil and grease to use on a bike?

Also, has anyone any recommendations regarding cleaning products?

Thanks all!

First; don't bother with any "cycle" grease, cleaners or lubes.

I use the cheapest car engine oil, 1 litre for a few £. For grease, marine waterproof grease, £5-10 for 500g. Ordinary car grease will be OK too.

The only bad experience with grease is I once greased my headset with a light brown lithium grease I found in a drawer. After riding all day in heavy rain, a rusty coloured liquid started to ooze out of the top nut. I took the headset apart and the balls and race were all rusty and pitted. I think it must have been like that for some time. So I cleaned it all out and reassembled (same balls) with Duckams Keenol and it's still smooth now.

For cleaning chains and sprockets, white spirits.

For cleaning frame and parts, damp cloth. Car wax/polish to keep off dirt and to make it easier to clean.

I got a free bottle of Finish Line wet chain lube (RRP 3-4 quid) in a goody bag at a cyclo-cross race last weekend. Result! :)

Also found that Green Oil (UK-made eco-friendly stuff) works well too for chains and pivot points, whilst GT85 is a workshop staple.

The Green Oil guys also do a spray on bike cleaner (in the style of Muc-Off) which I've been pleased with.

David

0000200_finish_line_teflon_plus_dry_lube_bottle_0.jpeg

This stuff is pretty brilliant. Avoids the chain getting all oily and mucky, which is handy for obvious reasons, and makes it run nice and quietly. Use this in the dry, and their wet lube in the wet. Can't go wrong!

lubes n stuff

Not very eco friendly, but I use a 50/50 mix of petrol and diesel in an old school stylee. Best cleaner of chains, chainrings etc. Diesel acts as a light lubricant which you can follow up with engine oil. For really good cleaning chuck a match on it!! (joking).

6 posts down and I disagree with all of them.

But it is all down to taste.

Here's what I swear by at the moment:

Oil: Muc-off C3. far and away the best oil I have ever used - but sadly not idiot-proof.
Grease for bearings: Pace RC7 or Green Dura-Ace grease.
Grease for fitting threaded parts: Blue Loctite, Shimano anti-seize (no longer available) and Juice AAS grease. Copa Slip can be used for this AND ONLY THIS.
Degreaser: Chain- only ever on a cloth - never brushed on direct - Weldtite degreaser spray - the concentrated stuff- or spirit. Important it evaporates fast and doesn't penetrate the chain rollers.

TGR":1qk7mghm said:
Thanks - What about CopaSlip?
Copper Slip is best used on all threads on your bike and you won't regret using it, as parts will come apart with ease.

Don't use it a a load bearing grease though.

Back