Bottom Bracket Removal - Pics added

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Good evening all,

I have managed to get my cranks off using the tool i got today - thanks to all for the advice regarding that.

I now need to remove the bottom bracket and having looking at youtube, i am a bit confused what tools i need.

The BB is marked - Tange 1K 1.37 x 24T and in smaller writing near the edge - 3W44.

Any ideas what tool i require?

Also, as the axle is a little loose (0.25 mm - 0.5 mm play) i might change the BB.

What are my options regarding a change? I currently have SR cranks which i will be polishing very soon and i am awaiting Shimano 600ax cranks and pedals - will these require a new BB?

I may not fit the 600ax cranks to this bike but, for future reference, will i need a specific BB for them?

Thanks to all for reading. I await delivery of my bike maintenance book which should stop me from bothering you as much as i am.

Thanks to all

there have been several bottom bracket designs over the years meaning several different tools. best thing to do is take a picture of each side and post them up here so we can tell you what tools you need

:)

Im guessing its a cup and cone style bb. Is there a large ring with square cut outs around it? And some holes on the face of it?

Right, he goes with a pic - fingers crossed (again).

Attachments

• IMGP1256.JPG
    IMGP1256.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 674
And the cost of these tools? Am i at the point i should bring it to the LBS for this task?

Thanks for the help, so far

taking it to your LBS depends... I always used to, as it's not a job that needs doing very often, and I couldn't justify the cost of the tools when for the same money the LBS could do the job several times. But as LBS prices have gone up, and I have more bikes, I bought the tools myself as in the long run it is much more cost effective, not to mention quicker!

If you do decide to take it to a shop, make sure they know what they're doing - in this day and age of replaceable sealed units, younger mechanics might not ever have seen a cup and cone BB before, and I'm sure there's more than one out there who would be capable of getting it wrong!

you could ask at a shop, see what they'd charge for the job (removal, cleaning, then refitting ?), and compare that to the cost of the tools, plus the extra hassle of going to the shop, then going back another day to pick it up, then not being able to adjust it yourself if you need to...

well these tools being Park tools are probably quite expensive but there are cheaper versions available. that said if it was me i would ditch the cup and cone b/b and fit a sealed unit (which would need another tool) which would also pretty much make the previous 3 tools useless to you unless you have other bikes with these fittings.

i have all these tools but i bought them at the time and used them regularly then as i changed the stuff i used on the bike i then bought the newer tools.

i'd ask a shop for a quote and see how it compares with the tool prices, Chain Reaction are good for tools, but also Cyclus can do cheaper options for the same tool as Park but less money/quality.

Am i tied to this BB or can i change it to a sealed unit or something similar?

I presume that my 600ax cranks will fit on the current BB - is there any point in buying a Shimano 600ax BB?

Thanks all, so far

Back