Perrin Maillard Wheels

Logan1475

Dirt Disciple
Hi, I recently became the owner of a set of wheels with Perrin Maillard Hubs and Rims Which I think are something like Super Champion Competition, I can't quite read the labels as they are really faded. The spokes are tied with copper thread.
Does anyone have any info on these? They came on a Peugeot PFN10 I bought but are in a bad way, they are not original to the bike but I think came from another 80's Peugeot.
Any advice on best way to clean them up is welcome. The spokes are pretty knackered though. They look like chromed steel with the chrome flaking off. I will attempt to post photos. Would it be a case of rebuilding them with new spokes, the hubs are still super smooth running!
Apologies in advance if this post is in the wrong section.

Attachments

• DSC_0342 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0342 smaller.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 861
  • DSC_0345 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0345 smaller.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 861
Rims look like Fiamme to me, any other pics of labels?

Ties look like lacquered copper wire without any soldering.......back in the mid 70's there was a short lived craze to tie spokes with copper wire and then use an epoxy resin as a substitute for solder.

Are the wires embedded in a clear glue?

Shaun

Just re-checked the pics..........not sure I'd trust those spokes. Is there a logo printed on the spoke head as it sits on the hub?

Shaun

Hi, thanks for the reply. I can just about see the word 'Competition' in the middle of the label and vaguely see the 'Champion' bit underneath and below that made in ....I assume France.

I had a look at spokes and can indeed see a symbol on the spoke heads which looks like four circles or four petals of a leaf arranged in a cross or box shape. I would never have noticed that in a million years if you hadn't said.

Will post picks.

Attachments

• DSC_0337 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0337 smaller.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 806
  • DSC_0336 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0336 smaller.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 806
Old Ned":1vk4mi36 said:
Looks like the Perrin name was short lived, I can't say I remember it.

I didn't get where I am today by remembering short-lived brand names of components. Sorry....thinking of a different Perrin altogether there. ;)

On a serious note - as well as looking ratty with advancing age, chrome spokes were/are notorious for being brittle compared to their rustless and stainless cousins. For the sake of safety & integrity, probably best to relace the set-up with stainless spokes throughout.

David

Just a quick addition, then I really must do some other work!

I saw this comment on Velobase regarding the Perrin Maillard hubs,

'Perrin was also known as the maker of Pelissier hubs in the 1970's'

I also found this from another forum thread on the Peugeot PX10/PY10

'Perrin-Pelissier were responsible for the design of those hubs which would have been original to this bike while Atom-Maillard-Normandy were the ones who manufactured them under license, hence the original and collaborative Perrin / Maillard label mentioned). Also, I noticed that the spokes show no evidence of being tied but not soldered - a characteristic which was evident on commemorative edition PY-10 bicycles from 1977 as well as all other PY-10 CP models from that very year. '

See this link for more:
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pe ... message/79

This would fit in with the wheels I have as I acquired them when I bought a Peugeot PFN10 recently that had been stored in a loft in Belgium. The guy I bought them from had lots of different Peugeot items and stated that they were not original to the bike. The original wheels being Atom hubs with Mavic Speciale Sport Rims, unfortunately the rear was unusable but I bought the front from him with the original Peugoet branded tubular tyre on.

I'm getting even more confused now!

I do build wheels commercially.
Yes, you do need new spokes and nipples and although you might love the rims, the eyelets look pretty knackered to me too, so chances are that when in tension they will simply give.
The rims are also very old and the chances of them building into a set of wheels that are responsive by modern standards are pretty slim... old, tired rims typically can't take much tension and you are bound to have wheels that feel "dull and unresponsive" however, if they are for display rather than mileage, do your best with the polish.
For a set of quality rims built around your hubs, give me a shout for a quote if interested

Hi, how much would a set of wheels be made up around the hubs? Would you be able to source some appropriate Mavic rims sympathetic to an 80's Peugeot?

http://www.mrrabbit.net/docs/spokeheads/main.html

Look like Berg Union chrome spokes = strength of a rotten carrot today LOL

As David B says need rebuilding :)

The sticker is a Superchampion sticker and usually had a mate next door on the rim to say what it was...that sticker is quite straight, back in the 70's they came stuck on the rims at some funny angles and we reckoned the guys were simply drunk on a friday afternoon :D

Rims look serviceable to me........

Shaun

Back