Campagnolo nine speed question

grilla

Retro Guru
Is there any reason why nine speed campag stuff seems so rare? Other than Veloce, and to a lesser extent Mirage? Was it short lived, before ten speed was introduced, or was it just not that popular?

I should add that I'm semi-looking for chorus/record nine speed rear mech, front mech and 175mm crank arms, again record or chorus. Ta!

It was around a fair while, but be careful, pre and post 2001 systems are different. Probably the simplest reason is that it works well and is worth keeping. Shimano stuff ends up on the market as the shifters are unserviceable. Once they break, that is it and the rest of the group set gets sold. There is loads more Shimano around as that was what got specified on most off the peg bikes.

Yeah, STI shifters are a pain in the arse to fix, that's for sure.

Is the distinction between pre and post 2001 the design of the hoods on the shifters, i.e. pre-2001 having more pointed hoods vs the rounder later versions of the hood?

Are there any other significant differences?
Would a post 2001 shifter work with a pre 2001 rear mech for instance?
And when was carbon fibre introduced to the groupset?

Relentless questions, for which I apologise :oops:

In 2001 Campagnolo changed the geometry of their 9 speed rear derailleur. Current Campagnolo 9 or 10 speed rear derailleurs will NOT work with pre-2001 Ergo levers unless you upgrade the internal Ergo Index Gear to a current 9 speed model. If you do upgrade, you will be rewarded with quicker and more precise shifting. 2001 to current, 9 speed rear derailleurs, can easily be upgraded to 10 speed by simply replacing the 9 speed pulley wheels with 10 speed ones.

Pre-2001 nine speed rear derailleurs have a "B" adjusting screw located on the derailleur hanger tab next to the frame hanger mounting bolt. The "B" adjusting screw butts against your frame's rear dropout and allows you to adjust the angle of the derailleur body. 2001 to current 9 and 10 speed rear derailleurs have the "B" adjusting screw located at the junction of the derailleur body and pulley wheel cage.

Thank you, that's very insightful. I've checked and my rear mech is definitely after 2001, which I suspected anyway.

If current rear derailleurs DON'T work with pre-2001 ergo levers, is the reverse also true, i.e. pre 2001 rear derailleurs won't work with post 2001 levers?

Sorry if that's a stupid question!

Not such a mad question but I would assume not as both systems seem to be geared up to work better with their respective parts. That said, things aren't as bad as they seem. I have been using a pre 2001 Chorus rear mech with a post 2001 set of ergolevers, I was quite comfortable with the changes despite being aware of the incompatibility. I then upgraded the mech to the post 2001 version and was amazed by the crisp changes.

As a gude, the ergo-levers with the rounded and more up-to-date shape are post 2001 and the old shape i.e. 1st gen erogs are the pre-2001. For mechs the ones with the skeleton main body elements are the later version and the the ones without are earlier but the adjuster on the cage rather than the body is the main giveaway.

You all know most post 2001 9 speed kit is still available new 9and not ust in Veloce) except shifters. It's not hard to find at all. But all the points about compatability are true. J-tek shift mate is the way to use a 10 speed shifters with your 9 speed group. Why throw away a good set of cranks and mechs away ust beause the shifters break. Reord 9 speed cassettes and chains are still available.

Keep it going if you can.

I don't have broken shifters by the way! I'm just looking to upgrade certain parts from veloce to chorus or record as I already have the record shifters. In particular my crank arms which are too short.

Back