Rollers or Turbo Trainer?

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
I had the best of both worlds. It was called a Roller-turbo and I bought it from the builder of the things in St. Ives in Cambridgeshire. It would appear I have lost it! I fear it has become collateral damage in the break down of a friend's marriage.

Now winter is here, I want to hold on to any small amount of hard won weight loss I managed in the summer!

What is best? I am hankering after some rollers. Are they better or would I be better getting a turbo? I would be using a fixed gear bike but could replace the fixed gear with a sprocket with a freewheel?

What do you folk use?

i found rollers to be more 'real' but turbo to be easier to use

tintin40":2qfwthia said:

+1

Probably prefer rollers, but use a turbo as i find i can give 100% (or as close as i get) without shooting of the rollers and through the wall when suffering during interval training

tintin40":3vas2icz said:

+1

Probably prefer rollers, but use a turbo as i find i can give 100% (or as close as i get) without shooting of the rollers and through the wall when suffering during interval training

Well, if all goes to plan, I'll be picking some rollers up tomorrow. Hopefully the learning curve won't be too steep! Hell, I might even wear a helmet. That'll make a change.

New question. Will I need a special tyre or is that more needed for a turbo trainer? Last time I turbo'd, I melted the tyre.

Kinetic Rock n Roll.

Hugely impressed by this device. I've had several trainers but not been able to use them for more then 20 mins at a time due to SAS (Sore Arse Syndrome) caused by the fixed position.

Rock n Roll trainer moves like a proper bike and is pretty silent too.

Back