tubular tyres question

cchris2lou

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
on my Peugeot build , I have fitted some Vittoria tubes on some Mavic GP4 rims .

I fitted them using Jantex tape .

what do i need to take in case of puncture ?
would a spare tube glue back onto the rim ?
do i need to put glue on the spare tube ?

thanks

In the old days, they'd take a spare tub, some glue and a pump. The tub would be tucked under the saddle, or wrapped around the torso of the rider. You'd need to remove the old tub, glue up the new one, and install as you did previously. You'd have to take it steady around bends, as the glue takes time to set.

If I was riding a bike on tubs, I'd take some of that tyre weld rather than a spare, unless it was an expensive tub I was intent on repairing.

The usual method is carry a spare tub which has been pre-stretched and glue already applied.

If you use tape, carry a spare roll of tape with your spare tub.

You carry a spare, ideally used tub. that fits and has a nice sticky layer of glue on it. Your nicely glued rims retain enough glue to put the new one on and keep it there. You punctured tube is mended that evening and becomes your nice stickly spare.
Thats how it works. It worked for decades.
However when tubs were common we all carried one and thus a double punture was no worry. by yourself. Hmmm
Tape is a compromise that creates more problems. Carry tape! Good God man

my spare tub was always a used one...so had glue on already. I found tape was a waste of time...as when the tub was removed, half the tape would stay on the rim, and the other on the tub. if you are going to use a new tub as a spare, yes, prestretch it, add a layer of tub glue and allow to dry.

A spare with glue on it and a small rag to wipe the wheel dry if wet. Glue won't stick in the wet and you tubular tyre will slip and stress the valve against the valve hole on the rim. It'll also make it feel like you have a flat spot on your rim if it slips.

Fold the rag in with the spare and strap it under your saddle with an old toe strap.

bugloss":1o35uia0 said:
Fold the rag in with the spare and strap it under your saddle with an old toe strap.

Don't forget to wrap it in an old plastic ice-cream advertising pennant nicked from outside a corner shop.

Or, being a law-abiding young man (and all the ice-cream adverts locally had been nicked by marauding scousers), I used an old washing-up liquid bottle with the top and bottom cut off and the tub stuffed down the resulting 'tube'.

The Dunlop cement used BITD tended to stay sticky for longer so was adequate to get you home when using a pre-used tub as a spare.

Here's my recollection...

You start off with three nice new tubs

You put glue on the shiny new sprint rim..it goes tacky

You put the tub on and pump it up to 120psi

(you do this for both wheels)

You then fold the "spare" and secure it to the underside of the back of the saddle using a "used" toestrap and you carry a frame pump

Then one day you're out on a ride and the tyre explodes with the verocity of a shot gun

You have a flat

You swap it out for the new spare, the existing glue on the rim is still tacky so holds the tyre, you pump it up to 120psi

When you get home you unstick the tape of the inner side of the tyre, cut the stitch cord near the puncture and unstitch enough cord to easily expose the puntured area of the inner tube...fix puncture in the normal way then pump up and test, also check for other problems with the tyre

Restitch the canvas (errr don't stitch it to the inner tube though :) ) and stick the base tape back on as best you can

Pump it up again...

You now have a used spare tub with a lump in it

You go for a ride you get another puncture

Repeat as above except you make a better job of the stitching whist doing the repair and this then becomes your "proper spare" but you buy another new tyre too

You now have 4 tubs

Two unpunctured

One punctured and repaired not so well (the bad spare)

and one that is your good spare that does not have any lumps in the stitching that you then carry as described above

It is your choice or not to carry the bad spare

Hope this helps :)

Cheers

Mike

Back