How much is my BSA Golden Fifty worth?

Edinburgh1991

Retro Newbie
Hi, I have a 1960's/1970's BSA Golden Fifty and I am unsure as to whether it would be worth selling for someone's restoration project and if so how much it is worth. The local second hand bike shop recommended this site as a good place to find out. He says the bike is at the latest early 1970's and has no new parts fitted and so is pretty much as it came out of the factory.

I would appreciate any advice on the bike,

The specifications from what I can tell are:
Campagnolo tube shifters
Campagnolo Gran Sport rear dereilleur
Weimann Brake shifters
27 and a 1/2 inch Michelin sports tyres
BSA inscribed pedals
Lycett Swallow saddle (broken)
Raleigh headset

The bike needs a good clean, there is a sagging in the chain and it needs new brakes and a new back tyre. Apart from that I have been riding it all year (so it is has recently worked) but is becoming difficult for me to maintain.

I can post more photos if needed

Attachments

• bike compress.jpg
    bike compress.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 973
  • bike compress 2.jpg
    bike compress 2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 973
  • bike compress 3.jpg
    bike compress 3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 973
very nice , value you is difficult . are you asking because you want to sell or thinking of selling . improve your chances by offering postage .

I will get my butt kicked for saying this , but often the some total of the parts could fetch more than the whole :? Bsa pedals if you clean them up with fine wire wool and oil .£30 + +,Campag rear mech £20 frame deending on size and type ,531 etc £40 +
Wheels again true etc maybe £15 +
Easier to post as well.

Bagpuss

As you say splitting into components and selling individually makes more cash .......but more hassle :)

The thing in the back of my mind is the Campag rear mech.....I lose track of which Gran Sport mech is actually worth an arm and a leg?

Shaun

yeah, I am wanting to sell and posting would be fine, I've posted a few more photos to help with valuing and I've included a few photos of the rear mech. Would rather sell as a whole to save hassle but I could certainly split it into components if I couldn't find a buyer

Attachments

• bike pics 2 compress 1.jpg
    bike pics 2 compress 1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 907
  • bike pics 2 compress 2.jpg
    bike pics 2 compress 2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 907
  • bike pics 2 compress 5.jpg
    bike pics 2 compress 5.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 907
Midlife":1uv6tegk said:
Bagpuss

As you say splitting into components and selling individually makes more cash .......but more hassle :)

The thing in the back of my mind is the Campag rear mech.....I lose track of which Gran Sport mech is actually worth an arm and a leg?

Shaun

Depends on the year, very early ones from early 50s fetch bigger money due to the extra adjuster fitted, this part was subsequently dropped in later editions. Condition and completeness play a big part too. I paid about 30 for mine some years ago. There are a few misguided souls who get rather excited at asking big money for these excellent mechs.

Although its a nice bike if you have a search around BSA tend not to make big money. A Golden Fifty frame sold on LFGSS for £45, A frame on Ebay for £35 and a compete Golden Fifty on Ebay for £45 although there's no pics available on the Ebay bike and the listing didn't have the derailleur spec :roll:

Unfortunately, its one of those bikes that will have more value in parts, although personally I think they should always be kept complete. The irony these days is that someone could buy the frame and then spend a fortune tracking down the right period parts.

It looks all original except for the stem and possibly the handlebars so as a project I'd say £60-£80

Back