Campagnolo Chorus Monoplaners

ScillySuffolk

Retro Guru
I'm looking at the above to complete a '92/'93 2nd Gen groupset.

Looking through the catalogues here (which only start at 1991), they have naked wheel guides and a black rubber on the cable adjusters.

Velobase shows a pair with white rubbers over the wheel guides and a white rubber on the cable guides.

Do the colours differentiate between earlier and later versions or where they both both available at the same time (as an option perhaps).

In other words, do I need to look for naked guides and a black rubber to be "period correct"?

Similarly, do white and black brake hoods distinguish earlier and later models?

Thanks in advance.

I bought a set of monoplaners new in 1986/87 for my SBDU Raleigh - they are still fitted and in great cosmetic and mechanical condition.

However, and as far as I know, the early ones had white hoods - as have mine.

Assume later ones have black, the white hoods now appear to be"unobtainium".

As for the guides, I'll take a look in the morning, but from memory they're"naked".

Roadking.

Mice.

ScillySuffolk":33sc1xls said:
OK, thanks for your time RK.

No worries, but this is weird.

About three months ago I temporarily stored a coupld of bike sin my loft (for security while I was away from home).

Disaster, when I retrieved said bikes, including the SBDU, mice, yes mice, had nibbled my still pristine white Monoplaner hoods.

That's how I discovered they were unobtainium, but I did source some NoS black ones - not ideal as they are not quite the quality of the white ones.

I HATE mice.

Rk.

dfsdfsd

I was trying to work this very same thing out the other day & have drawn the following conclusions....

You are correct in that the later Monoplaners had the naked guides. They also have a completely different arm casting around the blocks. I personally favour the Gen 1 versions.

Gen 1

8047308585_0e424e25f7.jpg

Gen 2

8075008263_fa7b5dbc51.jpg

Athena - Interestingly the Athena groupset inherited the monoplaner when the Chorus adopted the dual-pivot design. These use a lot of compromised components

8050166869_1afb5e6089.jpg

With the levers things get a bit more vague, the gen 1 Chorus levers were the same levers as the Record version and they had an adjustable tab which could be reversed to increase the pull enough to operate the Record Delta calipers, these always had the white hoods. The gen 2 Chorus units were the same as the then Athena units and they nearly all had black hoods.[/img]

Thanks AO.

I had noticed that Athena and lower groups had different shaped ends to the arms, but hadn't noticed it on the 2nd gen. Chorus, which will help sort the wheat from the chaff!

Off to Ebay then...

roadking":1ukgoafp said:
I bought a set of monoplaners new in 1986/87 for my SBDU Raleigh - they are still fitted and in great cosmetic and mechanical condition.

However, and as far as I know, the early ones had white hoods - as have mine.

Assume later ones have black, the white hoods now appear to be"unobtainium".

As for the guides, I'll take a look in the morning, but from memory they're"naked".

Roadking.

Having taken a look at my SBDU (in winter storage now), I was mistaken...the guides have the grey rubbery/plasticky coating on them.

Although these components are now ancient - I bought them new when building the bike - they are in great condition.

I still hate mice though!

RK.

Latest posts

Back