Problem changing gear

lanab

Dirt Disciple
I have some problems with my Uniglide mech and Dura Ace derailleur but i don't know where the fault is.

Problem is when i use the large front sprocket and changing gear from the 14T sprocket to the threaded small 13T sprocket, it doesn't mesh easy, i have to change back up to like the 19T sprocket and then down to the 13T straight away to even get it on the smallest 13T threaded sprocket.

The derailleur is correctly adjusted and it doesn't matter how much i turn out the adjustment screw as there is some other fault i don't know about.

The chain is new, SRAM PC890, and the sprockets looks nice, only the 19T tooths are a little worn.

What could it be? wrong chain? i have the correct length as the old one, could it be the spring in the derailleur that is not as tight anymore?

Check the limit screws first. The top gear one is best set with the gear cable slack. This can be done without disconnecting it by slipping a gear outer cable out of a frame stop.

The gear cable is fine, also i have tried even with limit screw totally loose to just check if it would be a limit problem.

I really don't understand, there are no problems with smallest chainring at front and smallest sprocket, only problems changing with largest chainring and smallest 13T sprocket

And the chainline seems fine....

Could it be the chain? too narrow?

You still got the original chain ? If so put that back on and see if the problem is still apparent, If not then your Sram chain is the problem.

No sorry, i binned the old chain :(
The SRAM chain i have now is 7.1mm wide, the Wippermann is 7.3mm or KMC.
Might try one, someone else must have had the same problem here.

Back