A Question about cleaning a frame up

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have just taken delivery today of a rather nice Concorde Astore frame and forks. It has the usual wear and tear, but overall is in pretty good condition.

Before I set to with the Autosol and T-Cut, are there any better products I could use on the paint? I don't want to do any harm to the paint or decals, just put a bit of a shine on everything while I decide what components to get for the build.

40 views and not a single reply tells me that I must have the right combination of cleaning / polishing products.

Autosol on the chrome and alloy is ok but I would not use T-Cut too much. Depends on how old the frame is and how fragile the paint and decals are. Rub it over with WD40 on a soft rag first. That will remove old oil, grease and dirt and will put an initial shine on it. It may be best to leave it alone at that stage.

Thanks.

I have my reservations about T-cut, as it is pretty aggressive stuff.

I know people in the car trade use a milder buffing compound of some sort, or maybe I'll just use WD40 and then some decent polish.

The chrome will get a good going over with Autosol and I may break out the dremel polishing mop for the worst bits.

I'll post some before and after photo's once it's done.

I've been using Gunk (the green bottle) as a degreasing cleaner for my frames and gear recently. That and a toothbrush have brought many of the components back to new.

The red Gunk I've been told can take decals off, so I left that one on the shelf.

Thanks.

The frames not grubby, it's just been stored a while and is a bit dull. There is a little light surface corrosion on some of the chrome, but a combination of gun oil and fine wire wool, plus Autosol and elbow grease will sort that.

I'm going to give WD40 a go on the frame and then some car polish and we'll see how we get on.

I'm open to more suggestions, while I decide on components.

Thinking Hope Pro 3 hubs in silver, laced with DT Swiss spokes to H Plus Son Architype rims. I also have some NOS Middleburn RS4 cranks which should marry up to a Royce BB I have in stock (as you do).

Farecla G10

I would consider using Farecla G10 liquid compound. Unlike T-cut, it is water based so doesn't cause reactions with chemical sensitive finishes. It can be applied with a damp sponge and will be less abrasive than if applied on a soft cloth.
A little goes a long way and I have seen it used in the motor trade on windows and plastic parts to great effect.
Even the finest of wax polishes will remove a little material in order to work, so go easy, especially on any raised surface or edges. :D

Cool, thanks.

I have been over the frame with WD40, which has improved things, but I'd just like to get a little gloss back.

Try Mer polish. It is a cleaner which removes dead paint particles and leaves an impressive shine. Does not leave a wax build up.

Whatever you use, go easy over the decals until you know how well affixed they are and what treatment they will take. You do not want them coming off.

Back