Vitus 979

tim2

Dirt Disciple
I have just finished a sympathetic restoration of a vitus 979 built and raced by Trevor Credland. Trevor owned a bike shop in Scunthorpe for many years. The classic type of shop with only a small space for bikes but plenty of spares and of course lots of help and advice. Trevor was very active in the local Road Club, and he liked bikes too. His "best bike" used to sit just inside the shop as a display item only to show customers what they could aspire too. He raced this bike in time trials and was a familiar figure on it on local rides.
Sadly Trevor passed away recently and I purchased the bike from his widow, he had not ridden it for some time and it was stored in his loft so it was in need of a good restoration. The spec is like a best parts list (mostly) from Ron Kit, no doubt Trevor was a good customer. I have restored the bike without going over the top. I even kept the original cables as they were the alloy lightweigth set from CLB. You dont see much alloy helical outer these days.
spec is below.
Frame black Vitus 979.
Hubs Omas big sliding TI spindle and QR.
Rims gold Mavic Oro
Alloy stronglight headset
3ttt bars and stem.
CLB brakes lever hoods a bit cracked. alloy cable outer and stainless inner
FT pedals Ti spindle and roller bearing (very early use of these designs). Seals replaced as they all cracked.
Milremo Alloy clips
Binda laminated straps
Stronglight chainset
Mavic front and rear gears.
Campag super record seat post
New Conti tyre with amber walls
I fitted perforated tape so the bars shine through the holes and then fitted a perforated leather selle royal saddle to match. It has gold badging on too that key in with the rims.
the Frame has the shop name sign written on in a very professional manner. I would be interested to know who did it.
It is very light and lovely to ride. I will post some pictures as soon as I can of the finished bike.

Sounds really interesting - looking forward to the pictures. I've recently completed an '82 Alan aluminium - thought I'd try to make a light bike without resorting to `drillium' and keeping with my much loved Campagnolo kit.

Alans and Vitus 979 had a reputation for frame flex, but I'm not really seeing it with the Alan - there seems to be a difficult to define `spring' but it seems not any more flexible at the bottom bracket than contemporary steel.

I'd be interested in your riding impressions - also, have you weighed it?

The Alan is weighing in at 8.6 kgs / 19lbs with Super Record titanium, alloy freewheel and Mavic GEL280s, which is heavier than I expected!

Pics would be nice :)

I raced on the Promenade at Scunthorpe in the 70's under Hull Thursday Road Club :D , what club did trevor ride for ?

Shaun

vitus

Not sure about a promenade in Scunny!! Trevor was in the scunthorpe road club, his shop was on Brumby corner. He was the chairman of the road club for several years. the club is still going and runs several open events for time trials as well as cyclo cross. I will post some pics soon.

I have an Alan too, from the 70`s, I recall the new price was £125 for frame fork seat post and BB. A made to measure new 753 was a similar price. My friend got a raleigh I got the Alan. It was a great frame and very light. I will check the weight sometime. Mine was built Campag super record except it had LF record hubs on Mavic oro rims ( to match the gold frame). They won a lot of cross races at the time as well as the world champs on several occasions. The Teka pro team rode them too. Toward the end of its regular use ( I grew out of it) I fitted some 24 spoke mavic SSC blues and Bulls eye hubs. Still one of the nicest pair of wheel I have. Other nice points were a very early alloy rail SABA saddle and also the same alloy outer as on the vitus. The tube diameters are similar and the ride is similar too. The Alan was my "best bike" so of course I am very attached to it. It is in very good condition. I will not post a pic just yet as the seat post is not correct. I fitted a longer
Ti use post to carry on riding it as I grew. The old campag record was too short. It was a top class bike from its era. One of the early all alloy race frames in general use. I would come out of changing rooms at road events and find a crowd around it.

At the danger of turning tim2's 979 post into an Alan post. If I show you mine..

Attachments

• DSC_0033 Small.jpg
    DSC_0033 Small.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,730
:? Actually that front brake is on the long side - not keen on cables that look like they're under tension - I like a natural `flow'.

That said, shortening it would shave a few grams.....

Deax":gv4yhy9a said:
:? Actually that front brake is on the long side - not keen on cables that look like they're under tension - I like a natural `flow'.

That said, shortening it would shave a few grams.....
and less friction , and look better IMO

Pic of the bike still on the way. A friend is doing a nice shot of it for me. I thought it deserved better than the photo I can take! I love the silver Alan, pedals not quite period but A lot use clipless to use their shoes. I think the forn cable may be a tad on the long side, I could get my head inthe loop when on the drops. The wheels look nice too. I had a friend who had a blue alan and it had the fast back type stays. Mine replicate the side mount look. It is a bit older model. The record I think had the fitted cable guides mine was a very early one and the clips were campag chrome. the vitus had fittings on it.

Back