Raleigh Gran Sport Frame Comparison

Deax

Devout Dirtbag
Folks,

my first year of interest in pro bike racing and lightweight bikes was as a 12 year old in 1982. Back then I really, really wanted to own a Gran Sport.. 30 years later I now one of each of the '82 and '83 versions - completely different frames in the same colour. Although the '82 version is borderline too big for me and think will be sold sometime soon, it would have been remiss of me not to take some pictures of the two together.

I've added some ads, brochure shots and bke review.

Pics here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1164758157 ... Frames8283

That's quite interesting seeing the differences between them. I wonder why the change from Gipiemme to Vitus parts, the plain to fluted seatstay tops and the lack of chrome on the rear end. I can't recollect seeing those Vitus rear dropouts before, especially on a Raleigh.

Yes - the '82 does stand out as an interesting frame - the '83 is basically of the same spec as the `off-the-peg' frames that Raleigh produced in the following few years.

Tubes aside, it's all different on the '82 - lugs, fork crown even the steerer tube is one spacer longer.

Perhaps the most interesting feature is the under bottom bracket routing - see the Cyclist Monthly review - two shortened Campag rear mech outer housings...

I'd rate the '83 as perhaps higher quality, but the '82 as the most interesting.

Back