Mystery Lightweight Frame Find Today 50s??,Anyone Help

cipolinni

Old School Grand Master
Helo guys
Picked up this rather nice vintage lightweight frame today,painted by brush poorely,have removed some paint to reveal either a black or dark brown finish.
No holes for headbadge.
Hopefuly the Forks to match will surface from his vast collection,waiting on a call to search for it in his shed.

It looks like an early 50s frame,very light,pencil thin seat stays
Nervex Pro Lugs
Underneath the BB shell is engraved "Nervex"
Aswell as frame number 59 3064 022 E38
Also 290 on LH rear dropout
Very nice rear dropouts,but cannot see any engraving
Weird looking braze-ons on the rear seat tube,Downtube bosses for drinks bottle cage?

Please see photos for reference

Looks a highly skilled frame build

Hopefully someone here can shed some light on it's brand and frame builder.

Attachments

• Mystery Frame 011.jpg
    Mystery Frame 011.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,291
  • Mystery Frame 007.jpg
    Mystery Frame 007.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,292
  • Mystery Frame 002.jpg
    Mystery Frame 002.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,292
  • Mystery Frame 001.jpg
    Mystery Frame 001.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,291
More photos

Attachments

• Mystery Frame 009.jpg
    Mystery Frame 009.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,284
  • Mystery Frame 006.jpg
    Mystery Frame 006.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,284
  • Mystery Frame 005.jpg
    Mystery Frame 005.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,284
  • Mystery Frame 004.jpg
    Mystery Frame 004.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,284
Nervex pro lugs, as used by hundreds of small and larger frame builders. Looks mid 1950's to early 60's. The numbers refer to angles etc.
Rear ends being pressed would tend to suggest earlier, as forged ends almost replaced them by 1960. Odd what looks like a brazed on boss for a CO2 gas or compressed air pump, so was a serious road racer.

I used one but not very successfully. CO2 leaks very quickly, and also the cartridge tended to freeze, making it difficult when you needed two. I have an Edco compressed air here somewhere, but refilling was difficult, also rather heavy.

Strange you should mention EDCO......they produced a really nice headset in alloy about 1976 and then a cracking bottom bracket about 2 years later.........

then vanished

Shaun

I have an EDCO alloy headset on my Bob Jackson / Kevin Sayles 70's TT frame, we sold them in Gold and silver so I chose a silver one....

Still doesn't hide the fact that they are massive LOL

Shaun

edco

Midlife":1gk8sg8u said:
Strange you should mention EDCO......they produced a really nice headset in alloy about 1976 and then a cracking bottom bracket about 2 years later.........

then vanished
They're still around, believe it or not - at least, their website is still live:

http://www.edcoengineering.nl/

They were bought by SAPIM a few years ago, and continue to make hubs and wheels for the European market. I had a pair of their fancy mtb hubs quite recently.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Switze ... o_main.htm

There are usually a few bits and pieces on ebay.de :

http://tinyurl.com/9jylj97

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back