Brake cables

bikenut2010

Senior Retro Guru
This is odd, I'm working on a new resto project, had a quick ride, front braking rubbish so everything had to come off:
Calipers all de-gunked, the pads were as glazed as tiles so thought that was the problem. Anyhoo, new pads, new (non campy ) cable, same problem...rubbish front brake. So swapped pads for some part worn Dura Ace, cleaned the rims with soapy water and then a wipe of acetone to remove any grease and a quick whiz with some emery paper. Still crap.
Tried the new pads which I ran across some 120 grit and still no improvement.
OK, desperate measures, stuck in a new front wheel...guess what, still rubbish...sooooo....

These are Campag calipers, 8 speed ergos, does the type of cable make a difference? There's a new campy cable at the rear but a cheapo generic cable at the front.

Any thoughts from the wise elders of the tribe???

(They are 90s Veloce)
http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... &AbsPos=17

are you sure you've got the end of the outer cable properly seated in the lever and also in the caliper? The inner cable is probably not the problem, assuming the end fits the campag lever correctly, unless it's a really old or bad quality cable. what caliper are you using?

Hi Foz, Veloce as above :) I think I've sorted it... I removed the cable completely, it was seated ok and had a new inner. I found some jagwire outer spare, cut to length and used an old rear cable cut down... huge improvement, off to get a decent bit of campag tho...

Back