Tubs - What size?

dan singh

Old School Hero
Hello all,

I want to buy new tubs for some wheels I have but cannot find anyone who can confirm what size I need. The old ones are decomposed to the point that no identification can be seen and the rims don't have a size stamped on them.
All the bike shops say either bring the wheel in (not convenient) or only do them to order.
The 36 spoke rims are 60s Fiamme measuring 663mm in diameter, 20mm wide.
Any advice thankfully received.

I ran 60's fiamme 36/36 on Suzue hubs BITD and they are standard tub size which equates 700 x 23C.

I'll have a look in the garage later to check what tubs on them but I'm sure thy are a standard size. The only different ones were smaller for lo-pro style bikes.

Shaun

Hi,

I had a similar problem when I went to get new tubs for my old sprint wheels

The wheels are 633mm (outside rim dia) I think they were originally ordered as 27" wheels..anyhow I took the old tub into the shop (Condor Cycles) and we compared the old (stretched) tub against the new ones and taking into consideration the stretch I came out with Vittoria Competition Rally TPI 220 tubs (other markings on the box says 20-28" not sure what that relates to)

They seem to fit nicely on the rims

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 588
Yes the standard tubular sprint rim diameter is the same as 700c HPs.

I suspect the 633mm is from the tape measure being not held straight when trying to measure a rim when it's been built into a wheel.

Just had a quick look in the garage at my tubs. All apart from 2 just have the makers name / model on them plus the PSI/bar pressure moulded in sometimes.

Two of them (both Vittoria Kevlar modern jobbies) say 28"...........not sure why as fiks say they are 700C LOL

Shaun

Sprint rims are the same diameter as 700c rims, but tubs are labelled as 28 inch, don't ask me why!

Right - the consenus is that tubs are tubs if on full size sprint rims but are called 27", 28", and 700c depending on who you ask!

I may order a pair of Continental Giro Tubs @ £15 ea. from Chain Reaction plus some tape to stick them on with. They appear as 28 x 22mm Black/Transparent on their web site listing yet their picture shows 27"x19mm on the side!!!

Has anyone used these? I wonder if it's worth spending an extra few quid on the Vittorias instead.

Don't worry about what it says on the tyre, all 'standard' tubulars are the same size. It's only ones specifically for 26"/650c or 24" wheels that are different and you would know (or ought to!) if you had wheels of those sizes.

Back