1953 Sturmey Archer Gear Cable Help

Robbied196

Senior Retro Guru
I'm back to a restoration of a 1953 Dunelt that I've been side-tracked off for a few months. Normally, I'm pretty good at taking photo's of anything unusual that I need to strip and clean, but I've thrown away the old gear cable as I knew it was going to be replaced.

One end of the cable fits into the 3 speed trigger, the other end of the cable is bare and slides through the little hole at the end of the knurled adjuster (pic 2). The question is, what usually retains the cable in place? I can't remember what was on the old cable and can only assume that something like a cable end crimp was used? The only issue is I find the aluminium crimps have a habit of pulling off quite easily, so will they be any good under the strain of a gear change.

Attachments

• DSC02969.JPG
    DSC02969.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 614
  • DSC02970.JPG
    DSC02970.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 614
I'm interested to know too as my rubbish memory has deserted me. I'm looking at the pics thinking I know what he means but cant picture the solution despite once having a similar SA part in that state :?

I remember as a youth having to solder a bit onto the end of the cable on my SA cable. It looked a bit like the cable end tidies used today but is a sleeve rather than a stop. Try a motorbike shop, some have similar things.

The sturmey archer gear cables that I sold had the screw bit already attached......... at least that's how I remember it.

There were also a variety of cable clamps that attached a bare cable to the SA screw.

Mind you that was a long time ago :D

Shaun

You need to find some fine brass tubing. Hobby or model engineering shops often stock it. Crimp a short length of the tubing to the cable, then solder it in place.

Measure to be sure, but something like this ought to do the trick:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230702291439

Probably best to avoid stainless cable.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thank you for the offer cchris2lou, I'm going to give one-eyed_jim's solution a go first, there's nothing to loose.

I've looked around a bit more and as Shaun said the older one's seem to come complete with the knurled end in place. Not sure I'd have much chance of finding the right length!

I'm off to look for my soldering iron :)

I have a few very old stock SA cables.Some for the top tube mounted type lever and others to suit your style trigger.I will dig them out on Friday.
Yours for the cost of a stamp ;) .
Pictuers tomorrow.

bagpuss":1jxzff5w said:
I have a few very old stock SA cables.Some for the top tube mounted type lever and others to suit your style trigger.I will dig them out on Friday.
Yours for the cost of a stamp ;) .
Pictuers tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer bagpuss, I'll drop you a PM :)

one-eyed_jim":249qgm7h said:
You need to find some fine brass tubing. Hobby or model engineering shops often stock it. Crimp a short length of the tubing to the cable, then solder it in place.

Measure to be sure, but something like this ought to do the trick:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230702291439

Probably best to avoid stainless cable.

Sorted :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back