Help with 90's GT Edge Decals/Xtra Pics now in Gallery

umassracer

Dirt Disciple
Hello all,
I've recently came into possession of (bought for a song locally) a 1994 (Serial # 94E201) 52cm, Mavic yellow, hand-made, GT Edge. The build/geometry of this frameset appears quite racy, it is very light (for 90's DB steel), and to top it all off, the frameset is fillet brazed with the French "Excel Superlite" tubing & Henry James drops!
Check this...the original owner was about to recycle the frame for a 10er before I told him I'd do him a favor & take it off his hands :)
Anyway...this frame has been hanging around in a basement for nearly 11 years and since paint looks dull/tatty decals so it could use a re-spray
Does anyone happen have any info on where to find a frameset decal set for this GT?
BTW I'm also in search of some of the original period pieces for this build (DA-7400 was original group), but I may just go 1994 Campy Record/Chorus.
What do people think about not-opting for original DA build?
Thanks to all and I hope to post new pics when done
UMracer
NOTE: In order to take the current Pics, bits from an old touring cycle were installed

Attachments

• GTEdgeTT.JPG
    GTEdgeTT.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,749
  • GTonwheels1.JPG
    GTonwheels1.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,748
Hi,

I'd try gil@thecycleshed for decals. Let's see some pics :) Interesting it's built with Excel, seem to recall GT were in pretty tight with True Temper around this time.

Build wise I'd go with DA, somehow seems more fitting for a US built frame from a company with such strong MTB roots.

'94 GT Edge

Greetings John,
Thanks for the info regard decals (it would be great not to have customs done but...) & I've posted a slew of pics in my gallery but if you want to see something specific please let me know.
NEW info: Apparently in 1994 GT actually made a few of these custom Edge frames for Mavic in their traditional support/service Yellow paint. BTW I have had no luck finding out if this is an actual Mavic bike, but I'm quite sure this is not a respray since original owner said his wife received it this way and everything(including clearcoat) remains as it should be. Based on the serial # and weld quality all I can say for sure is that it's definitely a 1994 Edge filet brazed steel it's order# is 202.
Edge frames were only available as custom orders, only "custom" choice was paint/decal colors, through the few GT "tech shop" dealers. These frames were welded in Longmont Colorado by some of the current, well known/respected, USA hi-end builders. According to a former "GT guy" who posts on MTBR, 1994 was only year that you could buy as a complete bike (see bikepedia.com) but most of the Edge's sold as frameset only.
In '94 True Temper I believe was used only for a couple of their MTB bikes and the majority, of the non aluminum, were actually made from Tange cro-mo tubing. At the time, True Temper was not the "got to" manufacturer for a light/strong thinwall road tubeset worth the time it took for fastidious fillet brazing.
I truly wish someone was able to ID by serial # if this was in fact one of the Edge's ordered by Mavic
Regards,
UMracer

John":1q6i6w2l said:
Hi,

I'd try gil@thecycleshed for decals. Let's see some pics :) Interesting it's built with Excel, seem to recall GT were in pretty tight with True Temper around this time.

Build wise I'd go with DA, somehow seems more fitting for a US built frame from a company with such strong MTB roots.

apparently, some of the 90s GT cyclocross bikes were built by Curtlo.

Judging by the construction methods, maybe this was too?

Curtlo as the builder is not a bad guess since he did build a few GTs in mid 90's. One thing that is in question is the fillet-braze technique used it on the Force. Doug Curtiss prefers to use his "mini-braze" (not as neat/clean looking, but better for the True Temper thin-wall tubes he builds with) technique over the traditional fillet braze model (still have mate's 1996 Curtlo to compare with). The welds on the GT are definitely done in the traditional fillet manor, but that by no means rules Doug out, because it's not like D.C. can't weld a traditional fillet frameset.
I'm leaning towards Tiemeyer a Mark Nobilette (Eisentraut trained but supposedly his frames have an "N" stamped in the bb shell-I have yet to look but I'll re-post if it's a Mark) since both did fillet brazing in GT's Colorado Tech Shop '90-'95 (once again I can't be sure)
Regards,
UMracer

cce":3oe90ak4 said:
apparently, some of the 90s GT cyclocross bikes were built by Curtlo.

Judging by the construction methods, maybe this was too?

John":3l2gu7cj said:
Hi,

Reynolds 853 wasn't unknown either, on GT cyclo-cross bikes at least (under all the mud you can just about make out an 853 sticker on Alison Dunlap's GT on the front of Simon Burney's training manual!).

David

Nice catch; exactly correct David. Towards the end of the 90's & GT's Longmont tech shop, the handmade steel MTB (think Psyclone) and their cyclocrossers were built from the growingly popular (@ least w/USA builders) Reynolds 853
(sought after for sits strength to weight)

David B":2ket0ttl said:
John":2ket0ttl said:
Hi,

Reynolds 853 wasn't unknown either, on GT cyclo-cross bikes at least (under all the mud you can just about make out an 853 sticker on Alison Dunlap's GT on the front of Simon Burney's training manual!).

David

That is just a standard Edge Model. The GT / Mavic Neutral Support bikes from the 94-5 Tour du Trump era had special decalling, different from the standard Edge model bikes.

gm1230126":1b7l5g0e said:
That is just a standard Edge Model. The GT / Mavic Neutral Support bikes from the 94-5 Tour du Trump era had special decalling, different from the standard Edge model bikes.

Are their any pics of these GT/mavic neutral service bikes on the web?

can't find any.

Back