Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:58 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Paris Roubaix tyres?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:21 am 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 7:25 pm
Posts: 4977
Location: Edinburgh
What size tyres do they use on Paris Roubaix?

Since I started riding a road bike again there are a lot of cobbles on my daily ride and it is shaking me to bits and feels like it is trashing my bike. I have 23mm on and I was just wondering if they go to a much heftier tyre for Roubaix.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:21 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:31 pm
Posts: 740
To start with they will be using tubs. Secondly a decent ride, what the team normally uses and what stays inflated will be the priority. Comfort will be dealt with by double bar tape.
Some teams use differnt bikes. Tyres maybe be changed but rider comfort via them is not a big concern. Why not go to 25mm or bigger. You will loose nothing and gain comfort and efficiency. 25mm's roll better.
A decent, high spec 28 would be my choice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:27 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 1112
If you've got room in terms of clearances you could even try cyclocross
tyres, depends on your frame and the brakes you've got. It does make
a big difference to the comfort, feels completely different from normal
road tyres.
I put some cross tyres on an old steel frame for someone who's doing
L'Eroica. Looked a bit odd but still fitted the frame fine.

Johnny


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:28 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 291
Johnsqual wrote:
If you've got room in terms of clearances you could even try cyclocross
tyres, depends on your frame and the brakes you've got. It does make
a big difference to the comfort, feels completely different from normal
road tyres.
I put some cross tyres on an old steel frame for someone who's doing
L'Eroica. Looked a bit odd but still fitted the frame fine.

Johnny

Not a bad choice I think :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:31 pm 
Old School Hero

Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 11:24 am
Posts: 194
Location: London SW
PROs use 27 mm tubulars, typically made by Belgian and French artisans (Dugast and that other one whose name I can't recall), some use the Vittoria pave 27 (not many). Pressure is 65-85 PSI... Boonen uses unusually low tyre pressure 60-65 PSI.
Nobody uses clinchers, if you are on clinchers, I recommend 25 mm for short easy section and 27-28 for real long shakers Paris-Roubaix style. 90 PSI, with clinchers you can't get much lower


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:03 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 7:25 pm
Posts: 4977
Location: Edinburgh
I wasn't really thinking about changing my tyres, more that I was curious how the hell they survive it.

Though something with a bit more heft than the 23s might not be a bad idea. Though I don't think I could go bigger than 25 in terms of clearance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:18 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 1112
Bear in mind that the professionals both have the opportunity to change
bikes if something goes wrong and probably don't use the tyres they ride
in a race like P-R much more than once.
It would be interesting to compare how often someone like you who rides almost every day on cobbles gets flats and has to change their tyres compared
to someone riding on normal roads.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:55 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:04 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
ugo.santalucia wrote:
PROs use 27 mm tubulars, typically made by Belgian and French artisans (Dugast and that other one whose name I can't recall), some use the Vittoria pave 27 (not many). Pressure is 65-85 PSI... Boonen uses unusually low tyre pressure 60-65 PSI.
Nobody uses clinchers, if you are on clinchers, I recommend 25 mm for short easy section and 27-28 for real long shakers Paris-Roubaix style. 90 PSI, with clinchers you can't get much lower


FMB are probably the tubs you're thinking of - popular on the cyclo-cross circuit (if you've got the cash) and easily spotted due to their orangey-red sidewalls.

Some Paris-Roubaix riders (Christophe Le Mevel, IIRC) have even resorted to using a cyclo-cross bike with meaty road tyres on.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:56 pm 
Old School Hero

Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 11:24 am
Posts: 194
Location: London SW
Johnsqual wrote:
Bear in mind that the professionals both have the opportunity to change
bikes if something goes wrong and probably don't use the tyres they ride
in a race like P-R much more than once.
It would be interesting to compare how often someone like you who rides almost every day on cobbles gets flats and has to change their tyres compared
to someone riding on normal roads.


Unrelated... I have done several long events on cobbles and never had a puncture.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:47 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 1112
ugo.santalucia wrote:
Johnsqual wrote:
Bear in mind that the professionals both have the opportunity to change
bikes if something goes wrong and probably don't use the tyres they ride
in a race like P-R much more than once.
It would be interesting to compare how often someone like you who rides almost every day on cobbles gets flats and has to change their tyres compared
to someone riding on normal roads.


Unrelated... I have done several long events on cobbles and never had a puncture.


I'd imagine the combination of lower pressure and frequent bumps would
make the chances of snake bite punctures higher. I ride quite a bit on cobbled roads here in Flemish Brabant, but I couldn't say if I wear out tyres or get flats more often.
I do know riding on cobbles is hard on other components, particularly for
inexperienced riders who try and change gear at speed on cobbles. Seen more than my share of mangled mechs. A lot of riders use a little device to stop the chain jumoing off the small ring and Tom Boonen apparently has his rear mech adjusted so he can't shift into the biggest sprocket, to prevent his chain jumping into the spokes.
So maybe these things are more important than tyre problems on cobbles...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group