Raleigh Rapide Update

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Following my recent posts about my quandary -

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=224090

I think i have decided to update the non-Shimano 600 ax bits to Shimano 600ax and I will keep the original bits in case i want it back to completely original.

I need to source a crank set and front mech and, perhaps, hoods although it seems they are difficult to find.

I have a few questions, if someone could assist -

1. Is it possible to view ebay items that have already been sold - if so, how?

2. Can anyone recommend a good bike maintenace book?

3. Has anyone any recommendations of places to source old bits - i have looked at a site and await a response to an email but i am sure there are others.

I would like to say thanks to those who have helped me with my quandary and i will update with pics when i get sorted out. No doubt, i will come across problems before i get this done.

On a final point, i have been reading stuff on another forum and it seems to me that cycling has taken on a new breed of person, there seems to be much more exacting standards than when i last got on my bike. I was used to getting up and going - 50 miles, 100 miles, 150 miles; it seems nowadays cyclists create hurdles to jump and worry about too much - like things breaking. I read about someone who brings a chain tool and spare links with them on a run - overkill? In my younger days i was out for a ride with friends - nothing too extreme but we had 3 punctures and ran out of tubes - i rode with my friend on my seat (used to be called a backie here) and i steered his bike, with two flat wheels, beside me for a 9 mile trip home. No doubt the Health and Safety nuts would go mad now (nevermind the Police).

It may be an age thing, a technology thing, perhaps i am a grumpy old man at 44, but i would like to say thanks (again) to the posters on this forum who seem to be much more sensible than the other site. I am interested to know if anyone agrees with my sentiments.

On a final, final note - i get my new bike tomorrow - what is the possibility that i will become one of the people i have mentioned? I dread to think about that, but i am like a kid before Christmas waiting for 10 am tomorrow!!!

TGR":g4rbws8o said:
I need to source a crank set and front mech and, perhaps, hoods although it seems they are difficult to find.
600AX cranks and pedals can be sourced quite cheaply but the hoods demand a very high price of £20 - £50 !!!

Some NOS 600AX levers or just look through Mario's shop for 600AX goodies...
http://defietsenmaker.nl/index.php?acti ... 17&lang=EN

I have a few questions, if someone could assist -
1. Is it possible to view ebay items that have already been sold - if so, how?
As far as I know only saved/watched items which have been sold can be viewed.

2. Can anyone recommend a good bike maintenace book?
The best maintaince book is right here on RB! Just ask ;)

Thanks for the pointers, regarding the maintenace, i know there is a wealth of knowledge on here but i would rather try to do something myself and if i come across a problem, i know that i can always ask on here. Seems a waste to ask simplistic questions here but it is good knowing that there is some backup when i need it.

Thanks

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
To search for completed listings on eBay you just need to enter your search, then on your search results go down the side and tick the "completed listings" box. This will show you completed listings from the last month or so I think. This option does not work if you searched in description too. Other than that Google will bring up completed stuff although that is quite random.

Be aware that a 600AX crank will require dyna drive pedals or an adaptor so that you can use regular pedals.

Best place to source parts is eBay, forums, Hilary Stone (mixed reviews).

Best repair book is Google and YouTube

Perhaps the people carrying around mobile workshops got their bikes from Halfords.....

So what is this new bike of yours anyway?

Thanks, the new bike is a Forme Longcliffe - aluminium frame, carbon forks, Tiagra gears, Mavic rims. Got it today, and I love it. Another poster described it as a modern day equivalent to the Rapide and i can understand that.

I was going to post about pedals but you may know the answer - if i change to the 600ax crankset and pedals - can shoes with cleats still be bought to use with the toe clips and straps? I should add that i love the 600ax pedals - a lot!

I discussed this with the LBS today and they doubt that i can get shoes to suit, therefore i would be best getting Look Keos (as my new bike) and i can use the same shoes. This option does not suit my plan and i may have to rethink changing the crankset to 600ax (grrrr).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Tel,

The ebay advice worked. I just got a shock regarding price of the 600ax stuff which sold this week. I had watched it for 2 days and it looked inexpensive but it appears that the wallets came out in the last two hours!

chainset and pedals - £74
brakes (which i have) - £83
front mech - £24

I am still looking for 600ax hoods if anyone happens to have a pair spare.

600AX pedals are very nice as is the chainset (painted finish though can age it). I have polished pedals and cranks fitted to this Koga: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=223868

Not sure on the availability of old style shoes tbh. I do know they were a lethal combination! God bless Look.

You can fit regular pedals if you want to update to Keo's with Dyna Drive Adapters, like these:

3274040045_034d4467df.jpg

Back