Crank choice

Guitar106Music

Dirt Disciple
I have a broken Campagnolo chorus 170mm non drive side crank that I need to replace, and I was wondering if anybody had any advice as whether it would be better to replace like for like, or replace the whole crankset with something like Shimano Ultegra 6400 Tri-Colour.

The bike has a Tri-Colour rear mech already, so it would match with the rest of the components.

Also can I pull the Campy crank with a standard crank puller, are the threads the same.

I guess if I went with a Shimano crankset I'd have to replace the bottom bracket as well, any recomendations.

Thanks in advance, Stu

Personally I would go with Campagnolo as you can re-use your chain rings. Shimano rings are frankly rubbish and wear out rapidly.

Personally I'm a sucker for complete groups so despite the sound advice above, not to mention the Campagnolo is prettier, I'd still go for the Shimano. Yes you'll need a new bb too.

Groupset

Hi Tel, I know wha you mean about matching groupos, the problem I have is that the bike is pretty mixed.
I have a campag headset, hubs and chainset (with broken r/h crank arm)
Shimano 105 levers (knackered), front mech and both brakes
Shimano 6400 levers (indexed 7 speed) and rear mech
Not sure of the bottom bracket yet as I haven't pulled the cranks, can I use a standard puller on Campy cranks?

So a bit of a dilemma!

I've seen Shimano 600 chainrings look like they're made of cheese, so if I went with these I'd probably change the rings out anyway.

I'm with Tel on this one, go for the co-ordinated look, but fit some Stronglight chainrings. They are a bit more spendy than the Shimano ones, but last a lot longer, in my experience.

Re: Groupset

Guitar106Music":3i39t01g said:
The bike has a Tri-Colour rear mech already, so it would match with the rest of the components.

Guitar106Music":3i39t01g said:
Hi Tel, I know wha you mean about matching groupos, the problem I have is that the bike is pretty mixed.
I have a campag headset, hubs and chainset (with broken r/h crank arm)
Shimano 105 levers (knackered), front mech and both brakes
Shimano 6400 levers (indexed 7 speed) and rear mech
Not sure of the bottom bracket yet as I haven't pulled the cranks, can I use a standard puller on Campy cranks?

So a bit of a dilemma!

I've seen Shimano 600 chainrings look like they're made of cheese, so if I went with these I'd probably change the rings out anyway.

:? ;) :D

Yes you can pull Campag cranks with a standard puller.

What is the bike?

Found it.

That is quite a hotch potch of parts. I'd whip off the crank and see what bb you have and go from there. If you want a matching groupset you've got quite a way to go!

Crank

I think I'll pull the crank and see what the BB is, it may not be a campy one anyway, and that may be why it cracked the crank arm, who knows!
I'm so far from a full group set I guess it doesn't matter which direction I go in :(

Cheers guys.

No surprise

Just pulled the cranks, and guess what, it wasn't a campy BB, but a Shimano one. This would go a long way to explain why the crank snapped! So it looks like I'll clean up the BB and go for a Shimano 600 (6400) with some tougher chainrings.

Now for fear of appearing stupid here, but shouldn't the longer part of the spindle be on the drive side? Because on this bike it's on the other side :eek:

Thanks for your advice, it looks like I might be needing a bit more before I get this bike on the road!

Photo

Here is a photo of the spindle sticking out further on the non drive side, is this correct, I tend to think not, but will be happy to be proved wrong!

P1020489.JPG

Back