HELP Please! need fork threads extended

mAdam

Old School Hero
Problem: building up a variation on one of my dream bikes from back in the 80's/90's. 53cm steel frame, but the forks I would really like to use are from a 60cm frame :cry: back in the good old days I'd just go to my lbs and they'd stick a die on the steerer and I'd have the headset fitted and the bike built up before it got too dark to get a few test miles in that very same day :D
Sadly my lbs are only interested in selling me plastic stuff via the internet. They wouldn't have the first clue what I was on about. My local engineer however will gladly cut my steerer to size, sleeve and tig weld it. Any thoughts? Ideally I just need a die, but i will consider anything to get this fork to work......except threadless!

It was one of my jobs when I worked in a bike shop to cut more thread on forks and reduce the length.

Not sure I'd like them to be cut and welded :(

Either change your bike shop or be prepared to bundle them off in the post to someone like Chris Marshal..or buy the right thread cutter.

Shaun

If I can't find a proper bike shop to do it, then I may have to think about selling up

The cost of the die would be more than the frame & forks are worth? [/quote]

CHRIS MARSHALL CYCLES
UNIT.1, CORNMILL GARAGE, HALIFAX RD, INGROW BRIDGE, KEIGHLEY, YORKS., BD21 5AX
01535 691073

a start at least :)

Shaun

I would have thought this is something you have to go to a framebuilder to have done. If you're not near one, you can send the forks to them.

I have a couple of old contacts to try out, hopefully i can borrow a die if anyone has one. A frame builder could sort this no problem, but it could end up costing more than the forks are realistically worth? :roll:

Post a pic of the forks :)

Doing it is really easy, two blocks of wood to hold the forks in the vice and then spin the tread cutter down, cut and withdraw, get rid of the swarf, oil and repeat while having cup of tea and hob-nob ( or aztec bar in the 70's) :)

check by spinning a top race down, cut to length, file, re-check top race...

Tell customer that any washers with a little lug won't fit if the steerer is sloted, , sell a washer for pennies...

job done :)

Shaun

Midlife":xjt75yva said:
CHRIS MARSHALL CYCLES
UNIT.1, CORNMILL GARAGE, HALIFAX RD, INGROW BRIDGE, KEIGHLEY, YORKS., BD21 5AX
01535 691073

a start at least :)

Shaun

Chris cut down a threadless steerer for me and threaded the remainder. Top man, top job - £10 IIRC.

Mark.

appreciate the info guys :) thanks. If i can't get sorted out locally, then i'll give Chris a buzz and see if he can sort me out.

Ok, so how about if the fork is French threaded? Anyone got the tools to do that?

I have some forks from a 59cm bike that I would be able to use on a 57cm provided I could add 20mm more thread and chop 20mm off the top of the steerer.

Back