tyler hamilton the secret race

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Has anyone ACTUALLY read it? I am about 85% through it and even if a none believer even if you took it at 25% truth its still pretty shocking. considering it contains so much input from other riders/people and not just Tyler its hard to just condemn it all as rubbish :?

Shocking but VERY riveting reading.

(try not to just garbage the book author if you have not read it :? )

i think it is fair to say that all of the system was corrupt,but let,s hope the wiggo generation is a turning point. it is the blue ribbon part of our sport, and i have loved it fron the first time i see malcome elliot in the milk race as a school boy

matthew71":2e14pkv6 said:
i think it is fair to say that all of the system was corrupt,but let,s hope the wiggo generation is a turning point. it is the blue ribbon part of our sport, and i have loved it fron the first time i see malcome elliot in the milk race as a school boy

I think that's the main point EVERYONE was at it, cannot remember the actual number but the average speed of the tour jumped massively within one year, quite funny when he said the first times the "clean" postal riders went up against the euros they couldn't work out how even the "fatties" we're breezing past them in the mountains.

The science behind the effects of EPO are pretty scary

So are the side effects,in the years that follow.many a 40 something ex pro have gone to bed and never woken up :cry:

I believe that it should be clearly recognized that not everybody doped and that among those who did dope, there were huge differences in the effects that the riders were able to achieve with their personal "plan". There were many teams where an institutionalized doping took place, whereas in most teams it was more a blind eye being shown to it with individual riders looking after themselves.

Do not be fooled into believing it was a level pitch for all.

tyler hamilton's book

A bloke I work with has the book and has almost read it. Am next on the list to read it. From what am told tyler tips the bucket, mop and kitchen sink, very graphically on Lance Armstrong several times.

I won't get my hands on the book till monday then the gloves are off. Like a few posts have said the system was bent and it was doing very nicely at covering the EPO and blood doping up without much trouble.

Am a Raleigh fan and the 1980 Tdf was won by Zoetmelk, he was doping so things got worse. The UCI has tried to clean things up and its prob cleaner now than it has been for a long time. BUT, along way still to go.
cheers, Roger, Melb. Aust

I thought a retro bike forum would be a refuge from Armstrong/doping threads :cry:

Montello":28vhq8pm said:
I thought a retro bike forum would be a refuge from Armstrong/doping threads :cry:

A lot of people here love all forms of cycling from racing to collecting bikes,you dont have to read it :roll:

Montello":8m9slibv said:

Some people's idea of "retro" doesn't go any further back than that era.
Just check out the latest RBOTM winner for confirmation of that.

Luckily, 99.9% of the time RB is a forum where "it's all about the bike".

Mark.

I've read it and TBH I wasn't that shocked and found that it was a fairly frank and believable account. It's pretty apparent from a number of sources e.g. David Millar's book that pharmaceutical assistance was almost essential to achieve a result from the mid-90s until recently - anyone that still believes otherwise has no real understanding of human physiology. It wasn't just the drugs, but also the way that they sought to corrupt the whole sport in their favour and intimidated anyone who dared say otherwise including guys like Greg Lemond that I find distinctly unpleasant about the episode.

Back