80s Mercian

zenroad

Retro Newbie
Hello, All. I just joined, so be nice.

I'm looking to sell my classic 80s Mercian road racing bike. I have no idea what it's worth. I'll part with the frame only, or with the frame and all the components on it. Old Campy stuff. How should I research the price? I'm in Florida, USA, so I would also need to consider shipping fees for overseas buyers. The frame is Reynolds steel, so the weight is..well, down to fighting weight, so I can't imagine that shipping would be too high.

Don't know the exact numbers for the frame, but I'm 6'1" with a healthy inseam, and the bike fits me like a glove.

I bought the frame years ago from the original owner, who had never built it up, so it had zero miles on it when I got it. I built it up with old vintage Campy stuff and put only about 500 miles on it. That's all. I'm into off-road bikes, and I just never got around to spending much time on the Mercian, which is a real shame, as it's a great ride.

It needs a paint job. Florida has put some surface rust on some spots. This bike will inevitably be priced to sell, as it no longer interests me, and I'd very much like to move it along to someone who could give it a proper home.

Thank you! :D

I could definitely give it a good home but I think the shipping costs might knock it on the head. Mercian are very sought after though both here in the UK and the USA. Price will depend a lot on condition so some photo's would be good :) I'd say a poor one £250 a mint one £700 to £900.

There is a sale section at:

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay. ... mp-Vintage

I think you have to join for a small fee to list a sale, but most of the listings are based in the USA. If you emphasis the handbuilt british angle you could get a better price than you would from the UK.

Good luck :)

Robbied196":39pi4yyt said:
I could definitely give it a good home but I think the shipping costs might knock it on the head. Mercian are very sought after though both here in the UK and the USA. Price will depend a lot on condition so some photo's would be good :) I'd say a poor one £250 a mint one £700 to £900.

There is a sale section at:

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay. ... mp-Vintage

I think you have to join for a small fee to list a sale, but most of the listings are based in the USA. If you emphasis the handbuilt british angle you could get a better price than you would from the UK.

Good luck :)

Thank you, Robbied196. I really appreciate the info.

The frame is definitely not "mint," but it has very low mileage and has never been crashed. No dents or dings. Just surface rust in a couple of spots. Needs restoration on that account. The frame and forks are featherweight and pack down to compact proportions, so I'm sure we could find some cheap shipping options. I'm not looking to make a fortune on this, just to unload it at a price that is fair to both me and a buyer, so maybe we can work something out if you are truly interested. Email me at roy@tohokuforward.org. I can send you pics and all numbers.

The bike makes me wish I were still into road riding, but it ain't so. I feel too vulnerable on one these days. Give me some fat tires and a frame I can go bombing on.

zenroad":15229pkw said:
Thank you, Robbied196. I really appreciate the info.

The frame is definitely not "mint," but it has very low mileage and has never been crashed. No dents or dings. Just surface rust in a couple of spots. Needs restoration on that account. The frame and forks are featherweight and pack down to compact proportions, so I'm sure we could find some cheap shipping options. I'm not looking to make a fortune on this, just to unload it at a price that is fair to both me and a buyer, so maybe we can work something out if you are truly interested. Email me at roy@tohokuforward.org. I can send you pics and all numbers.

The bike makes me wish I were still into road riding, but it ain't so. I feel too vulnerable on one these days. Give me some fat tires and a frame I can go bombing on.

Definitely interested in seeing some pics and possibly working something out, I've sent you an email :)

Back