Relative whippersnappers

ORS

Dirt Disciple
It was back in the heady days of late '79 I first realised I'd 'got the bug'. As a young teen, a succession of earlier bogeys was supplanted with a first drop-handlebared mosheen - a 'Kalkhoff Turbo Twelve' :D. Complete with fork-mounted Ever-Ready lights and a pair of trainers, I'd set out to blitz my local (Alva) course in emulation of the papered hero, Hinault. It was hard - but I loved the machine as we ploughed.

By the following summer I'd managed to convince my dad that Reynold's was the stuff, so in autumn '81 we had a look. At Billy Bilslands and Dales (Glasgow) were 753 and Duralinox 979's, wonderful machines with Campag Super Record. Being even then a tight git, I suggested we go try 'Pedal Power', ex-Cowane Street, Stirling. Top of the range was the Raleigh. Nnaw ... too much. I was 'over the moon' when for three-hundred and fifteen quid, I was soon to be the proud possesor of a 'Gran Sport' :D. Superb bike that just needs ridden. :D :D. A couple of times a year I'd do Callander - Loch Tay- Alva, 125 miles in six and a bit, tho once with major help from jammy peices when totally 'bonked' half-way up the climb.

That's my ambition: to replicate even without aka Kelly :cool: :LOL:

LDP":sque5huj said:
Do you still have your original machine or is it long gone?

Long gone. In 1991 I took the risky decision to leave it parked up one night using an old chain and splitter, only to return the following morning to find an absence of bike and a severed chain. Lesson learned... :roll:

ORS":bdn6kz5t said:
A couple of times a year I'd do Callander - Loch Tay- Alva, 125 miles in six and a bit, tho once with major help from jammy peices when totally 'bonked' half-way up the climb.

That's my ambition: to replicate even without aka Kelly :cool: :LOL:

must be a mid-life crisis sorta thing :LOL: :LOL: well mine is anyways

off to italy for I'eroica this week to do the big route, the origins of this were teenage sunday runs with the bundy, doing 125miles down to the west coast and back up

good luck fella sounds a great run, check out the macretro forum for a 60miler round loch tay at the end of october

cheers

Back