Greetings from SF Bay Area

rickenbiker

Retro Newbie
New guy, 64 years old tomorrow.

2 Colnagos, late '84 Nuovo Mexico and '94 Super, both acquired in the last 60 days.

Also a Fendt Cardano (Chainless) and a Motobecane Mixte from (?) late '40s.

In training, haven't ridden seriously since I bought my Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 back in '82. Before that it was a Schwinn Suburban 10 sp from Oscar Wastyn, who was my local guy in Chicago in the early '70s.

The more things change the more they stay the same!

Alomst Forgot...

Here are photos of the 3 road bikes mentioned in my first post.

P7051388.jpg

DSC00043sma-1.jpg

DSC00021sma.jpg

Welcome :)

Love the colnago in the first pic. The Fendt warranted a second glance too, very interesting!

ScillySuffolk":32h31y9b said:
Happy Birthday RB: I like your style!

Tell us more about that chainless contraption please.

Har!

As you know, (harumphhh...) chainless bikes are nothing new--they go back to the turn of the 20th century, although early ones had all of the nasty bits exposed.

I am still researching this thing. Apparently made in Germany in two forms--a soft tail and this hard tail version. The hard tail seems to be the rarer. This bike came from a very upscale area of Philadelphia's main line. I am writing the seller to get its history. He apparently bought it new and never (NEVER) rode it. There is no dust or corrosion anywhere on it. The alloy and chrome wheel hubs (my usual way of telling hard use or outdoor storage) look newly-minted, and all factory equipment and features are present, accounted for and functional. The paint and decals are perfect. It has a caliper brake on front and coaster on back, 3 speed internal rear hub, and factory tool kit still in the plastic bag in the plastic prism-shape tool kit under the seat.

The seller put new tires on it and included the originals with it. The originals show no wear, with the center molding seam still crisp and intact and talcum powder still evident in the tread. The original tubes were unpatched and looked like new, too.

It's a great city bike but geared too low for serious road riding. But, for $107.00, who could turn down such a piece of history? As you Brits would say, "lovely piece of kit!".

as John says that first Colnago looks lovely, just looks 'right' if you know what i mean.

welcome by the way :)

You look a bit like DR Emmett brown with the glasses :)
You need to get some sun, look a bit white.
Cool road bikes :D

Kona-Ian":9d54v6s2 said:
You look a bit like DR Emmett brown with the glasses :)
You need to get some sun, look a bit white.
Cool road bikes :D

Thanks, K. I needed that whitey comment... :LOL: With winter coming, too...

Back