Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:18 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:59 pm 

Hi.....New to this forum..........Does anybody know where I can get both front and back (preferably with sprockets) 700c 25s Chromed wheels for my restoration of a Raleigh 'Team Banana'? Using 'replacement' new alloys at present, as original chromed rims got 'dinted' (but still keeping them 'just in case')..........Finding it incredibly hard to source these chromed wheels in the UK (Only front seems to be available, and even this rim is in short supply). Any help in sourcing these greatly appreciated. Don't mind if used, but chrome must be corrosion free, and wheels running true with no 'dints'.........t/u Mick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:17 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

Hey Mick. How clean is your Raleigh? I ask because unless it's absolutely showroom condition I'd personally stick with the upgraded alloy wheels (alloy wheels perform better than steel).

That said if you have your heart set on originality, and there's nothing wrong with that, then your best bet is to to put a wanted ad on here and keep trawling eBay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:40 pm 

Tel wrote:
Hey Mick. How clean is your Raleigh? I ask because unless it's absolutely showroom condition I'd personally stick with the upgraded alloy wheels (alloy wheels perform better than steel).

That said if you have your heart set on originality, and there's nothing wrong with that, then your best bet is to to put a wanted ad on here and keep trawling eBay.

The Raleigh 'Banana' is actually in great condition as 'it stands'. Had it quite a while. No rust, just slight peeling, and little scratches to the original decals. I think I will send the frame to 'Argos (Liverpool)' the paint sprayers for re coating. The bike is now stripped right back to the bare frame, all components are cleaned, and stored. I do have quite a lot of spares, many original 'boxed, unused' parts (Weinmann brakes, Sach Huret Gears (front and back), Sahae quill stems, rat trap pedals, original stamped and crested Raleigh bars, etc,etc, etc..... that I accumulated over the years..........I know the bike will never be worth what I am putting into it, but stripping down, overhauling, and rebuilding is my 'hobby' and 'fun'..........and as I am nearly sixty years of age, performance doesn't really matter to me much anymore ......but originality does!..........On a 'side note' while at the local authority skips recently, I spotted a 1991 Spezialized Hardback Cruz (minus tyres) in almost 'mint' conditon (nothing out of alignment, wheels running true) amongst the scrap. Needless to say I hauled it out, and it is now 'nearly' perfect, a very, very easy project to restore. Only the bottom bracket was 'seized' and full of 'gunge' (replaced)..........I know its another bike of little value, and in the most incredible 'dayglo' pinkish red (to bright for me)..........but it amazes me what people throw away! Unusual to find a 21 year old bike with no marks, apart from the scratch to decals that happened when it was thrown in the skip! ...........Anyway going to look at a couple of auctions, and source more 'donor' parts (hopefully chromed wheels) from other 'abandoned' 'old' bikes. I may be able to get the chromed wheels from an 'Emmelle', or other sport bikes of the era......It's all good fun! Thanks for replying. Mick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:19 pm 
Dirt Disciple

cant go wrong with Raleigh i own several lol through my time i have had 80% more of raleigh then other brands love to see some pics of your project as i myself have done things like that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:21 pm 
Retrobike Sponsor
Retrobike Sponsor

There are cheap polished alloy rimed wheels available. I know I bought a pair for a Ralieght team banana. The customer was delighteed as his budget was small for wheels but wanted something period looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:09 am 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner

Polished alloy would be OK, chrome a bit harder to come by...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:02 am 
Geoff Capes

I had a Raleigh Banana as a teenager in the 90s. I know you like authenticity but don't ride it with chrome rims in the rain!

I'm very thankful that I can now afford good alloy rims and that the modern dual pivot caliper was invented! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:39 am 
Retrobike Sponsor
Retrobike Sponsor

Yeah the original brake/rim combination on that raleigh were shockingly bad.

Alloy rims all the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:39 am 
Old School Grand Master

I'd second that.................chrome rims and wet weather are not a nice combination. Dimpling the rims simply made a funny noise as you crashed into the object in front :(

Personally I'd source some alloy rims :D

Shaun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:00 am 
Old School Hero

It might be worth looking at a few cheat options so that you can get a decent modern rim that has a pseudo chrome finish (or at least will look it from a distance). I'm thinking of Velo Orange, in particular the PBPs:

http://freshtripe.co.uk/Freshtripe/Whee ... Tyres.html

Appreciate that the link to a small jpeg doesn't do the rims justice but I have seen some in the flesh that are really spangley whilst giving a good braking performance in all weathers.