Sunbeam Bikes

JakeMiddleton

Dirt Disciple
I have heard that sunbeam bicycles are sort of the rolls royce of old bikes. Has anyone rode one of these old roadsters? How do they compare to the likes of the old raleigh?

The thing is I recently bought a new brooks for my bike and then later found a sunbeam for sale online for fractionally over the price of the saddle I had just bought.... the thing was the sunbeam had the same saddle in perfect condition!! There I was kicking myself and I started to wonder what these bikes ride like

Jake

Jake, First thing is to research Marston Sunbeam and the later BSA Sunbeam. Originally Sunbeam were made by hand (most frames were) then like most bikes, gradually deteriorated as the market changed.
A Sunbeam roadster in 1920 could cost £22, by 1935 about £8.
A BSA roadster in 1920 was a little cheaper, and by mid 1930's about £6.
The right Subeam may well be collectible, but quality, collectible and value are not compatible.
In the early 70's I had a 1931 Marston Sunbeam 3.5 litre car, which could be compared to Rolls Royce, and like many companies, Marston collapsed around 1930, when the market wanted the £100 car, not £1000.

Keith

Sunbeam were very highly regarded, nothing wrong with the later bikes but any Sunbeam pre 1937 are the ones to watch out for.

Back