De Ronde van de Elandsgracht, Amsterdam

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Attended this re-issue of an old bikerace on Sunday. Start & finish: Cafe l'Affiche, Jordaan, Amsterdam :)

7971612248_6de87af871_b.jpg

The 1st modern issue of De Ronde van de Elandsgracht was a very nice and cosy event. About 40 male and female riders attended. Various kind of riders, but all with one thing in common: a passion for old bikes. Some participants belonged to the organiser's inner circle and were bit by the bug, others just bought their first classic and saw the poster, there was a retired messenger and than there were folks like me who are quite seriously into vintage for years now.

The entourage was well taken care of. The organisation was dressed in style. Many pics were taken by a skilled photographer who shot most of them from the back of an old Triumph motorcycle. More vintage motoring: an ancient Citroën Ami 8 was present to sweep up stranded cyclists. 'Fortunately' there was only one unfortunate cyclist in the end: the Amsterdam park roads were too much a challenge for the Nagasawa rider's Continental Giro tubular. A flat. There was generous sportsdrink (beer) and sportsfood (baquette cheese) available. We also got a sweet yellow-ish/pink-ish chemical substance, but I don't think it was doping. 'Spekkies' instead.

I've been told the organisation considers upcoming March for the 2nd issue. Sure I'll be there again.

8017428786_324fc2c210_b.jpg

View all pictures >>>

De Ronde vd Elandsgracht on Flickr

For me personally my day on the bike ended in severe rain, wind and darkness. I had decided to cover the miles between A'dam and home all pedalling. I am l'eroica ready ;)

I am the chap wearing the official Retrobike team garments :) On your Q: it will be roughly 50km to A'dam for me.

Not third from the right in the boots then ? :)

Just curious as I worked at ACTA a good number of years ago, ah! Cafe Mephisto :D

Shaun

stevevw":2gf017p9 said:
I would be interested in coming over in March. Could you keep us updated please.

+1, if anyone else from up north is interested as well.

Mind you, March in the low countries - wind, rain, cold. But also beer, frittes, steak.................. ;)

Could be good practice for the Retro Ronde.

Absolutely Steve, Paul. I keep you updated on anything going on with this event :)

Proof I've been there and that I didn't take any short cuts ;) >>

8026050249_ed48fc54df_z.jpg
8026049797_8409042d85_z.jpg

Back