Cycle Stands

scarrabri

Devout Dirtbag
Hi i have another question ,why do we all lean our treasured bikes up against walls posts and any othere weapon thats likely to scratch ,inflict damage when there must be stands for every bike ever made ,or is this another musnt do thing ,just wondering as it seems a shame to scratch some of the beautiful bikes on here ,best wishes Brian.

For the same reason you don't see an F1 car with reversing sensors and boot space....

...They are built for speed, not convenience ;)

scarrabri":22k0hsqz said:
GasPipeWarrior":22k0hsqz said:
If you're talking about storage at home there was a recent thread - Clever bikes and parts storage - on the subject. I'm sure there's bound to be more on here.

Or you could get down to Aldi for one of their specials due this coming Thursday.

No i mean everyday use you dont see any road bikes with stands so they are all stuck up against a tree or a post ,just seems odd.

Ahhhh....you're referring to a kickstand. Guess it's either the weight and/or the appearance which lead to them not being on many road bikes.

For race/sport bikes it is probably weight and looks are one reason why they aren't used. The main reason will be that the pros don't have them, I'm surprised this isn't mentioned in 'The Rules' (although Phillipe Gilbert could have done with a stand or 'a man' to support his bike rather than letting it fall onto the road on Sunday. Yes, I know he'd just won the World Champs and he doesn't pay for his bikes, but still...).

Kickstands are probably more common on touring bikes as they make it easier to access panniers etc. but tourers aren't too concerned with weight and racing-looks.

The Rules also doesn't say anything about stabilizers, tassels on the end of handlebars, or spokey-dokeys.

:LOL:

Why drag half a kilo of stand around with you all the time?

It might not appeal, as it's MTB, but the AMP Mercedes boutique MTB has a carbon kickstand. I kind of like the effort and time that's gone into something that no serious mountainbiker would want:
P9251233.jpg
P9251234.jpg
P9251235.jpg

Only 102g of carbon and CNCed aluminium...but it does work really well.

All the best,

The Bat":9utaqqrs said:
For race/sport bikes it is probably weight and looks are one reason why they aren't used. The main reason will be that the pros don't have them, I'm surprised this isn't mentioned in 'The Rules' (although Phillipe Gilbert could have done with a stand or 'a man' to support his bike rather than letting it fall onto the road on Sunday. Yes, I know he'd just won the World Champs and he doesn't pay for his bikes, but still...).

Kickstands are probably more common on touring bikes as they make it easier to access panniers etc. but tourers aren't too concerned with weight and racing-looks.
Hi i watched the bike fall to the ground he ought to be ashamed of his self ,i would have to work for six months to buy one of those bikes,and he,s droping it on the ground ,now if he would have had a stand ?

Back