best budget all round tub

cheap tubs are puncture prone and you don't want to puncture on a tubular. I suggest you wait for the right offer and get a set of Vittoria CX... they are the best tubulars I have ever used.
For a cheap one, try Vittoria Rally, but they are nowhere near as smooth and fast and they puncture easily

Continental Sprinter Gatorskins tick many boxes, but they cannot be fixed, as the inner tube is vulcanised against the carcass... that said, they hardly puncture at all

hmm the CX look nice but it's pushing up to £100 for a set of tyres....

thanks for the pointers will look at the others mentioned

As Vittoria Rallye there are Continental Giro, similar price and possibly a bit better quality.

I seem to have persistent problems with peeling base tape
with Vittoria Rally tubs. Perhaps it's me making some
schoolboy error when installing, but the tape always seems
to peel off around the sides of the tube after just a few 100km.

Johnny

Schwable Milanos are the best ones in my experience, great tubulars for the price.

Never liked Conti Giros, hard to mount and puncture the first weekend.

I'll second the schwalbe milanos - I bought a pair for 40 quid posted, and they're a great tyre. tan sidewalls too, so perfect for a retro build!

Can the Schwalbe be fixed? Some tubulars cannot be fixed (Tufo, for instance) but only temporarily sealed with latex... I would not bother with those.
Also, if a tubular is not at least better than a clincher tyre, it's not worth to bother with it, given the amount of work involved in fitting them...

that's the reason why I would steer clear of cheapos... false economy, the tubular route is an expensive one, but can be rewarding

Back