some info on wheels please

speedthing

Old School Hero
OK
ive got this 1983 raleigh team rep bike off a friend its very nice to ride an fits
me very well. But id like to shave some weight off it as its on steel wheels id like to start there first. The thing is its a 120mm drop out and i could spring
the frame to 126mm but im having problems finding 126mm wheels that i
like. There are quite a few 130mm wheels that i like the look of and i do have access to a machine shop would there be any problems with having the rear spacer and axle machined down to 120mm? anyone done this?.
cheers Alun

Modern freehub wheels habe freehubs to long to have 120mm spacing as the cassette needs to fit inside the stay without rubbing. 120mm hubs were/are all 5 speed or single speed/fixed with good reason.

Sorry forgot to say im looking at the 130mm screw on hubs and not cassette
the only difference i can see is with the spacer is a few mm longer than the 126mm so im thinking it can be turned down a few mm instead of springing the frame and im only going to use a 5 speed sprocket.

Best thing is to find a suitable set of period hubs at 28 holes... you can then get them built on light rims... I have a set of Wolber Profil 18 which weigh 300 grams each... if you find something similar a light set is not out of reach

Back