Columbus genius steel

tidi

Dirt Disciple
I weigh 85kg and looking at a frame in a 54cm built with genius steel tubes from the 90's. Does anyone have experience or thoughts whether this would handle my weight as the frame only weighs just under 1500grams?
Kind regards

Thanx for the quick reply. I've asked on another forum and got mixed replies. But really im not sure if the other forum replied out of experience or opinions.

I suppose it depends how you ride it but i'd imagine that a genius steel tig welded frame would be stronger than a sub 1500g carbon frame.
I rode a Peugeot - columbus genius and i'm around 85kg - with no problems.
If you're a poweful sprinter who goes off road you may have a problem but i doubt it very much!
But that's just my opinion so it may collapse when you ride it :shock:

85 Kg is not heavy and I don't think a 54 Genius weighs 1500 grams, more like 1650.Genius is great steel, first on the market with Niobium, if I remember correctly. It was followed by Nemo, which also was amazing

Hi,
I had a Genius MTB from Hardisty in Newcastle. I loved it and rode it (rigid) for many years 'till an idiot motorist destroyed it. Pics are on here.
I've now got a Genius road bile and love it too.

I doubt stronger is word I would use. Carbon fibre has a very high fracture stress. The carbon frame could be "stronger" and stiffer e.t.c but the steel frame depending on tube diameter could be just as strong and stiff.

Carbon is not weak. Columbus Genius tubing would make a fine frame. I would ride it.

Back