Cranks have made me cranky.

iamcheapskate

Retro Newbie
Part 1

I am taking my Raleigh Quadra apart for an overhaul / sprucing up and have, not unsurprisingly, run into some problems. I pulled one crank arm off with no fuss, but the other is being a sod. I can't seem to thread to crank puller in – its as if it's too big for that side, rather than the threads of the crank are damaged. Anyway, any non-destructive ideas as to how to remove?

Part 2

Since I suspect that the result of part 1 is "destroy", I have already started eyeing up campagnolo cranks. Can i keep the shimano 105 rear derailleur if i go that route?

Ta!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 462
If the puller worked on one side it should fit the other. You've got to be careful though, get it cross threaded or not screwed in far enough and you'll have one duff crank arm.

Try a good squirt of WD40 with an old toothbrush and get any bits or grit out of the threads. After that if you can get the puller in a few threads and you're sure its square, you can wind it in with a spanner after that, good luck :)

WEDGE!

Put a wedge of hardwood or something hard either side of the spindle and tap away. Hit one wedge then the other repeat till off.

You may need a bit of heat too.

retro-rich":2fwlco0c said:
The threads look a bit shallow on the crank, is something stuck inside? does it look the same as the other one?
the washer by the look of it. Gotta get that out first.

Washer out!

Still can't thread though, WD40 and toothbrush both employed too. Can't help thinking its a size thing. Bolt one side I used a 15mm sprocket and one was 14mm.

Puller dropped in one side, and barely rests on other and definitely won't thread.

Undo the adjustible cup 2 turns or so. Pack out the space between the crank and cup using something like an open ended spanner or two. I used an alloy drift and lightish hammer, usually a couple of sharp taps is enough.
Get that washer out first.
Always worked.

You mean tap against the BB spindle so that it moves away from the crank which trapped by the spanners?

Shaun

Back