Carbon forks... what do you think?

grilla

Retro Guru
Does anybody have any experiences of running carbon forks on a steel frame? I know carbon is a bit of a dirty word on a retro forum, but all the same, it'd be good to know. I've been thinking about giving some a go on a late 90s steel Pinarello, to see how they feel.

Cheers

And sorry to all the real retro forumites :LOL:

I think there are quite a few builds using carbon forks on steel frames - I'm watching this with interest as I'm asking myself the same question. They seem to be a popular weight-saving choice for retro-modern weight-saving obsessive builds. And modern steel Tommasinis are available with carbon forks I believe.

Sorry I can't help with an answer - I look forward to hearing from someone who can though.

Firstly, don't worry about discussing carbon. Alan were making carbon fibre cross bikes way back in 1976 so anyone that thinks that the material isn't 'retro' had better make sure none of the bikes in their sig was made after '76 before commenting!

As for carbon forks on a steel frame, my only experience is on MTBs, and its a great combination.

As long as they look right aesthetically I don't have a problem.....

What colour is the Pina?

Carbon forks on a steel can look great. A mate a Brian rouke painted a metallic red. He has carbon forks and the one he choose go perfectly. Also some carbon fork can weight as little as 300g. I had some in my hands yesterday I would use them if light ones can be had with a 1" steerer but alas this is not the case. A good way to drop alot of weight.

The ones that I had yesterday a friend of mine brings in direct from a factory in Taiwan.

Also carbon is retro. I am riding at the moment a early ninties trek with carbon tubes. It really needs a carbon fork but its a 1" steerer.

No problem with carbon forks, they make a nice comfortable ride - providing the frame is in the right time window to have them. The problem can be sourcing 1" steerer ones these days.

I have fitted carbon forks to my 1999 Raleigh 853 (picture in this months rBOTM). Mine came with curved steel forks, but the earlier models 97/98 had Mizuho carbon forks fitted as standard.

My forks have a carbon stem too and weigh around 300g :shock:

I can't say much about the ride, as I have only just started riding again after a shoulder injury, but the 10k I have covered were pretty stress free, with a nice smooth ride and direct cornering / steering.

I had retro Time carbon forks on my even more retro Motobecane -

Attachments

• motobecane with time forks.jpg
    motobecane with time forks.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 722
Back