1950s Claud Butler

ScillySuffolk

Retro Guru
It's cheap, it's local and apart from the paintwork is in reasonable condition.

Time spent on here has engaged my interest in older British bikes and having done a little research, I have to say I find Claud Butler to be a really engaging character.

I wondered if you had any advice for me? If there's anything in particular I should know about them or look out for (I'm arranging a viewing).

Questions that immediately occur are:
- is there any way of dating a CB, either specifically or to pre-/post-Holdsworth buyout?
- did CB use Whitworth threads or any other obsolete standards?

I'm really quite excited now!

Many thanks in advance.

Jim.

I have never seen a CB with any other threads than British standard cycle, 24 TPI forks and bottom bracket, apart from older head clip models, 31/32 diam x 56 TPI (i think).
Mudguard eyes may be 3/16 inch and rear fork end gear hangers as appropriate, eg campagnolo 10mm x 24 TPI and 5mm mudguards.
The only whitworth thread would be on the saddle clip.
If my memory is functioning.
Keith

With any bike of that age always check the frame tubes around the bottom bracket, if there's any rot or corrosion its the favorite place for it to be.

Thanks all.

On the basis that it is a lugless build and has curled seatstay ends, I have tentatively identified it as a 1953 Jubilee.

Still waiting for the seller to call and arrange a visit...

ScillySuffolk":2y69yj2l said:
1953 Jubilee

Fillet brazed and no hole from the seat tube into the bottom bracket shell so any water ingress down the tube collects at the base of the seat tube. Check it very carefully, small holes or fractures can be hard to see without stripping the paint.

I know, I bought a Jubilee with that exact problem :oops:

Back