Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:23 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Hello from France
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:10 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hi I'm Tom and I live down in the communist part of the south of france in Catalonia. For the last year I have made the conscious decision to work with my hands rather than fingers on a keyboard and have been reconditioning - old road, randonneurs and track bikes from 1910 - 1980.
I am going to be doing up a 1912 Peugeot Track bike this month and hopefully will be able to find some words of wisdom here to aid me on the way - and if anyone has any tyres I'd be over the bloody moon!
My current ride is a Le Jeune Special Tour de france - (colombus framed c1974 super Lj mechs universal super 68 brakes, TI crank, Campag front and rear drops, ideale 90 saddle with Zeus seatpost) I was told by the guy I bought it from that his father claimed only 30 were made but who knows - certainly I can find no other reference to them or evidence of them online so perhaps there is an element of truth in it. I'd like to get a couple of the photos up to see if anyone has seen another one. I also have a cinelli lugged Didier Louis frame which was raced in the Tour de france from 79-82 (with a bendy seatpost) by Dominic Leboeuf (amateur) which I'm trying to find a home for...

Attachments:
File comment: Here is an arty shot of the le jeune (I Had a photographer friend over from Munich) who just had to overcomplicate things...
20120908-IMG_0106.jpg
20120908-IMG_0106.jpg [ 412.41 KiB | Viewed 1075 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:15 pm 
Old School Hero

Bonjour!!!

Welcome and have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:22 pm 
Retro Guru

Hello! So do you consider yourself French or Catalan?

Nice bike, BTW.

I shall be over in your part of the world (just over the border) in April of next year, the closest i will get to you is Figueres, a beautiful place to be (Catalonia, that is, not necessarily Figueres!!)

Post subject: Le Jeune with friend
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:29 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Merci,

I hope to and not having to write in french - should make communication hopefully slightly more fluid than on the french forums... J'espere..

Tom

Attachments:
20120908-IMG_0145.jpg
20120908-IMG_0145.jpg [ 149.89 KiB | Viewed 1043 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:34 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

That's a striking looking bike.

I really like the frame colour and the clean lines. 8)

Post subject: Catalan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:36 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Figueres will be rather different to how remember it - there was a massive forest fire a couple of months back and the countryside all around figueres is but a cinder now. The locals certainly consider themselves catalan and half my children are in catalan speaking classes - much to my consternation as originally I thought it would be just an hour a day a week not the majority of every day.... It is superb biking country down here be it route or VTT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Welcome to the site! I live just outside Montpellier, so not that far, not that Communist either...! You might find lots of information about very old French bikes on www.tontonvelo.com - it's a good site, plenty of good advice and banter. Bit like this one...

Any pictures of the Didier Louis?

Post subject: Bendy Didier
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:01 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Salut,

Montpellier is not that far at all - I drove to Rennes to pick this one up.... which was quite a round trip but stopped off in Bordeaux and spent the day with a collector there who has the most extraordinary collection of bikes I have ever seen under one persons roof - or should I say 4 Garden Huts!

If you want the specs they are in brief and roughly working from front to back - Techtron levers (a later addition) Modolo equipe callipers, cinelli stem (early logo) cinelli bars, spidel shifters (super LJ in all but name) and mechs nuovo record, Hubs are Spidel Pros , rims Mavic GP4 with D L embossed, Spidel Crank, Selle Italia Turbo. Size wise I think it is 56cm C2C top tube. I am taking it out with the local velo club on Sunday which I'm looking forward to.

I have been on Tonton quite often particularly helpful for identifying small artisinal builders who are pretty much unknown outside of the towns they used to work from.

I hope the wind has not been as savage for you as it has been down here for the past couple of days....

Cdlt Tom.

Attachments:
20120908-IMG_0163.jpg
20120908-IMG_0163.jpg [ 252 KiB | Viewed 1008 times ]
20120908-IMG_0174.jpg
20120908-IMG_0174.jpg [ 144.26 KiB | Viewed 1008 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:19 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Hello from windy Denmark.

Careful we all don't start wanting to stay at yours for " only a couple of days/weeks" :D

Nice bikes too. I like that wiggly frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:38 pm 
Retro Guru

Tom - that bike is beautiful... :shock: And the photo of it in the street near dusk is great too. Nice part of the world. Good to hear you know about Tontonvelo, a very useful site.

I'm away from home at the moment so I'm not sure about the wind. My wife says it's cooling down a bit which is a relief after the summer...

I wish I lived nearer the Pyrenees, but my plan over the next few months is to explore the Cevennes when I get the opportunity - they're only about 30 minutes away and are great to ride in. I've been trying to trace the route described in "The Rider"...