Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:44 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Advice on refurb
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:34 pm 

Hi,

I have a bike that I assembled myself in 1987, when I was 16. I had bought a fairly decent frame cheaply from someone who was giving up the sport (753R, and the revered 'GOD' decal), and I decked it out in the finest Campag. I have continued to use this bike on and off for the last 25 years, and treated it as a working bike. I was forced to make a couple of changes over the years - the Mavic GL280s were built for lightness not durability! , and I managed to snap a Campag Super Record crank (and nearly kill myself!) riding up a articularly steep hill in Derbyshire. I have a more modern Cannondale, and am starting to think I'd like to restore the older bike to something like its original state. I'd also like to look at getting the frame reconditioned.

As I'm not the most practical of people, I wouldn't want to ruin the bike by rebuilding it inapproporiately/ respraying it badly. Can you recommend anyone near Watford who would be able to recondition the frame, and point me in the right direction for getting hold of a few original bits (Super record crank, GL 280s or GP4s on campag hubs etc.) ?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:11 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Hi post some photo's that should help generate some interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:47 pm 

Ok. Good point. I'll have to clean it up a bit first before letting the world see it, as this one still does Sunday mornings and the odd event. Most of the pictures posted here have bikes that look absolutely pristine. I'll get a bucket out on Saturday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:43 pm 
Retro Guru

There's Mario Vaz in South London for resprays, not to sure of the contact details but he should be easy to find. I hear varied reports, but basically if you ask him for a good job, you get one. Ask for a cheap job, you get one :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom_hurley/5822107431/

There's Amourtex as well, in Hackney.

http://www.armourtexltd.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:03 pm 

Hi,

Thanks for the tips. I reckon the Armourtex one in Hackney might be the easiest one for me.

Just thought I'd share some photos, so you can see where I'm starting from. It's mainlzy 80s, with a 90s crank and some very 00s wheels. I am going to try to take it all back to about 1987 though with Super Record and Mavic...

GB