Puch Marauder Restoration

daz3210

Retro Newbie
Hi Guys, I am new here, so hopefully won't upset anyone by asking silly questions.

I am on the verge of completing a restore of my old Puch Marauder that my parents bought me when I were a kid (around 1984 I think).

OK, some may say it was not worth doing, but I guess sentimentality makes you daft when it comes to money.

Dad reckons the bike was only about £50 or so when new. The restore has cost me at least four times that.

But now I have a problem. The frame has been powder-coated, hence I have lost all the decals that were on the bike. I'm wanting to get it looking as original as possible (except the colour is now a rather darker blue than before), but cannot find anywhere a set of decals to suit. I have a local vehicle lettering company that says they can make me the decals as I want them, but they need images from which to work. The biggest problem is the headset logo.

Does anyone know of a source of original decals, or have access to decent images of the Puch logo (apparently a photo of the headset is not good enough due to it being on a curved surface).

Have you tried Velocals.com ?

He is based in USA, not cheap, but he has a very large database of decals...
I am sure he has a few Puch decals... it was a very popular make

The quality of the decals is good and they can be laquered over

Well he has the head badge on there (or a head badge anyway), so that is an option.

I do have a photo of the bike pre restoration, so maybe the local man can make up some decals from those. It can't be that hard surely.

Get in touch with Gil_M on this forum, if he does not have the decals, and you have photo's and sizes, he may well be able to produce some for you.

Thats the problem, I don't have a photo of the head badge.

I have a side on of the bike pre strip down, but nothing at all close up on the decals (at all)

NeilM":1o5w9dra said:
Drop Gil a PM anyway, he may have something on file.

Already done.

There are head badges on the net, but nothing like I remember the old one.

On the pic I have you can just see the edge, and it is more round than the oval ones on offer.

But then my bike was labelled Steyr-Daimler-Puch Ltd, whereas many you see were Austro-Daimler-Puch. Quite what the difference is I am not sure.

Either way it said on the frame 'Made in Austria'

We used to sell Puch bikes in the shop in the 70's. For some reason the ones destined for the UK market were branded Steyr-Daimler-Puch.

Never sure why but I guess your's is a UK bike :)

Shaun

Back