Old frame, new parts - Your thoughts

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Like most here, I have cycled on and off since childhood, later I got into motorbikes (always British or Italian) and later still custom bikes (mainly as an engine/ gearbox builder).

During this time, I have restored motorbikes back to factory original, both my own, and paying customers, I have also build test bed custom bikes for me, that mixed or blended old and new parts, to get an aesthetically pleasing, but practical motorcycle.

I have brought this attitude with me on my return to cycling, and most of my mtb's mix'n'match old and new parts to end up with a light enjoyable bike that steers, stops and goes. I am now considering doing something along similar lines with a road bike.

So, and finally to the point; is this herrasy (as it seems to be considered by many mtb'ers) or breathing new life into an older frame?

Let me make it clear, I NEVER, cut, grind, chop or in anyway damage an original frame (bike or motorbike), so there is always the possibility of someone else returning the basis of my project back to original.

Next question; if I do this, what frame? There are a good number about, and I've seen quite a few Mercian's, Gazelle's, Raleigh's etc, as well as small builder frames, at not very much money, that simply cannot find a new home.

Your thoughts?

If you, or the person who will ride it, wants that, then go for it.

There is nothing wrong, in my eyes, with an old frame wearing "new jewels"

Like this:
DSC_0009.JPG

that is still along the same lines, but now has a full 6600 groupset.

If you can pick up a decent priced Mercian then that's what I would go for, Mercian are up there at the pinnacle of quality British craftsmanship :D

Then throw a load of polished Campagnolo at it :D

The only problem is that you might find a complete bike for less money than it will end up costing to build :roll: but at least you can get exactly what you want.

I think it makes good practical sense. However, like with bikes and cars, sometimes something is what it is because of the package - and once it is broken, it will never make sense financially to reunite them. But I don't think we are talking quite that level of exotica.

My view is that old bikes should be owned and used for what they are. If you want ergo/sti, 10 speeds, dual pivots then get a new/modern bike.

WOW! I'm amazed I have not been shot down in flames.

As for finance and levels of equipment, the bike would be for myself or my son to ride and I would be starting with just a bare frame, or frame and forks.

We have, as you do, a spare SRAM Red chainset here, and if it fitted, then that could be the start, if not, then with all the deals, Wiggle, CRC, Ribble etc are doing, it would not be hard to put a good spec bike together.

My frame preference would be a hand made British, but I will also be looking at European builders too, as there seem to be a few about right now.

I'd love to see more pictures of similar bikes.

Fiks: I have no intention of buying a complete bike and breaking it up, far from it. I am talking about building a bike up from just a bare frame.

For groupsets and other bits, keep an eye on Merlin Cycles, the last two or three full groupsets I bought new have been from them, the 6600 I bought was about £200 below retail and the 9 speed Tiagra about £60 under.

They usually have quite good deals on wheels too.

That's if you want to go new, if you want to keep costs down, and can wait, then keeping an eye on the for sale board here will probably net you all you need in good time.

Knowing what works with what (and what doesn't) is always useful.

Go for it - using modern components on a lovely old steel frame is a good way of seeing something get used for its intended purpose, and who cares how authentic it is as long as you like it? There are some lovely retro-modern builds on here.

Depending on what you go for you need to consider rear drop-out spacing but it doesn't seem to cause too many problems.

Back