Bits of Cycling Kit You Bought & Are Well Chuffed With

Robbied196

Senior Retro Guru
I thought I'd start this thread, I spend a bit of time looking for good quality cycling products. Sometimes price doesn't always equal quality, as I've found out a few times.

I thought if members post details and a link of any item they've been particularly impressed with it may help us all out with our searches.

To start off

Endura cycling trousers. Very light and comfortable, so good I wear them nearly all the time.

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=111

Bikehut Track pump. I've tried endless hand pumps and had problems with all of them. Either they're to weak to get to 90+ psi or so fiddly to connect you flattened the tyre before you've pumped it up. After getting a track pump for Christmas that fell apart the second time I used it, I stomped off to Halfords. I usually stay well clear of Halfords but I have to say this track pump solved all my problems.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165661

If this takes off, maybe it would make a good sticky reference that can be updated.

I picked up a Kask k10 online in a sale recently. Read the reviews, they all say that is has a very wide range of adjustment that actually works. Ideal for a helmet if you are buying online - they were all right. Very nice bit of kit.

not my picture, but mine is the same

k10org.jpg

dfdh

Not sure if you can still get these but I bought a CoolTool in 1990 and not only do i still have it but I still use it. The chain breaker has outlived a selection of larger more expensive units, the adjustable wrench remains stiff and accurate and the allen keys are still hexagonal. I have a bit more trust in my bikes now but if I was ever to take a tool out on runs it would still be the CoolTool

bikeComponentsAllGerber_Cool_Tool_CT419451-resized200.jpg

On the helmet front, a LAS Istrion, having gone through the pain to trying to get Spesh, Met and Giro helmets to fit my noggin, I found that LAS were just the right shape. Then that one got wrecked in a car crash, so I bought an Istrion, which is even better due to having a better adjustment system, one you can properly do one handed!

A largely overlooked item, but essential to any bike, is pedals. On this front the best buy I have had, and still do, are the Shimano M520s (yes I use SPDs on a road bike), at £20 a pair you get a pair of pedals and cleats, the cleats being nearly £20 on their own. For touring I have some of the PD-M520 (the trail ones) which give a large platform for the foot, as comfort is more important than weight (to an extent) when touring.

I like the Crank Brothers multi-tool I was given a couple of years ago,
does most of what you need in terms of on road repairs and very solid.

Here in Belgium there is a chain called Hema that is sort of the Belgian
Woolworths (only it still exists). They do a multi tool for €15 that is also
very good for the price you pay.

And I bought a crank puller for €5 from my local Sports Direct that has actually
been good so far for the price. In particular, it has a nut that fits a standard
pedal spanner, which makes it handier to use than the Park Tool version that
has disappeared somewhere in my bike cave.

Back