Does good tubing mean a good frame?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I'm extremely new to road bikes, as I have been a mountain biker since the 80's, and one of the things that has struck me about road bikes is the sheer volume of different specification frames, both from big manufacturers and small bespoke builders.

So, when browsing here, the bay, and other forums, allowing for the fact that a sticker does not automatically indicate authenticity; could it be said that good tubing (Reynolds, Columbus, etc) makes for a good frame?

tube sets

Half the story. Correct frame alignment and build quality is the other half.If it has been made by a decent frame builder then it should be fine although frames do go out of alignment over time especially when used by a heavier rider.A good frame builder would soon put that to rights for you if needed.Mass produced frames work to a tollerance that you can actually see on smaller frames. Paying a lot for a mass produced steel frame does not guarantee perfect build either. I have one frame that would have set you back around £600 and the rear dropouts are 132 mm and the alignment is out accordingly.The higher end tubesets cant all be re straightened as some simply spring back if they have been built wrong. If you are going steel then find one from an individual frame builder and you should be fine
Regards
Peter

Yes, I am really talking about steel, I should have made that clear.

What you say makes perfect sense, and would also explain why many frames made from something like Reynolds 531 or 531c seem to sell faster and for higher prices than others made of seemingly better tubes like 653 or 753.

Part of what I was asking was with regard to the quality of build, as it could be assumed that no one is going to just throw a frame together out of 753, 853 or something similar, but making assumptions is a risky business, hence my question.

I have two bikes that I am more than happy with. One is a Woodrup and the other is a Steve Goff.Both excellent build quality to the point that you can feel it in the ride.Dont forget that different frames are made for different purposes. You need to decide what you want to do with it first.The angles on a bike built with touring in mind will be different from those on a machine designed for fast day rides. Unless you are going to have a custom build it would help if you had an idea on the angles and size that would work best for you.That way you know what you are looking for.There are a number of sites on the web regarding frame fit. Thing is we are all looking for the holy grail.That perfect bike.Sadly due to body build and usage your grail will be different from mine. However if you get the basics sorted you will be well on your way.

Regards

Peter

I'm not really looking at present, it was more of a general question, as I have mtb's made from 853, 731 and Columbus Nivacrome (sp?), all bespoke built (not for me I hasten to add). Each one is different and each rides superbly and I just wondered if road frames made of high spec tubing were usually well built.

Back