Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:24 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:13 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:53 am
Posts: 93
Location: Merseyside
spatuluk wrote:
As far as I can tell, this all started because of the term 'gas pipe'? :?

Gas pipe isn't a dirty word.. it's just what lots of people call no-frills tubing. Personally, I prefer 'gas pipe' over 'Tru-Wel'. Whoever named it 'Tru-Wel' was obviously a man with little imagination, but at least it's better than '18-23'.. :P


+1

Love my gas-piped bikes... :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:49 pm
Posts: 276
Thank you spatuluk and hazeyblue.

I don't believe, unless you took an exceptionally coloured look at my post, what I said inferred that it was rubbish, something I clarified in my second post.

And I would agree it does look like a Stadium, so once again, oh look, I was right.

I'll leave it be now, OK?

FWIW I think it would make a lovely bike, but putting flat bars on a bike designed for drops can make it handling interesting. As mentioned I have done this and only rode that bike a few times before selling it as I didn't like how it handled.

I too have what I would term gas-pipers in the garage, including a modern one (a On-One InBred 29er) which I ride probably 95% of the time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:43 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 1:29 pm
Posts: 10798
Location: Manchester, UK
Aren't standard Inbreds 4130 cromo, ie not gas-pipe? :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:49 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:49 pm
Posts: 276
Dead Rats wrote:
Aren't standard Inbreds 4130 cromo, ie not gas-pipe? :P


You know what, I could have sworn it was SB, but looking again (I have the 29er swap out frame) it is 4130 DB, you are right.
:oops:

Bad example, there are other bikes in the garage that are nothing special (Elswick Turbo12 is one of them), but I still love riding.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:53 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 1:29 pm
Posts: 10798
Location: Manchester, UK
tiermat wrote:
Dead Rats wrote:
Aren't standard Inbreds 4130 cromo, ie not gas-pipe? :P


You know what, I could have sworn it was SB, but looking again (I have the 29er swap out frame) it is 4130 DB, you are right.
:oops:

Bad example, there are other bikes in the garage that are nothing special (Elswick Turbo12 is one of them), but I still love riding.


just standing up for the Inbred! :D

me too actually, my high-tensile singlespeed road hack gets the most use of all my bikes and as such I can throw it around more confidently than my DB 4130 Surly as well as my 853 Inbred.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:55 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:34 pm
Posts: 250
Location: Stockport, UK
I believe there are some people who prefer riding steel. Something to do with vibrations or flex or something. I dunno - I'm deffo not an expert!

I came across a Sheldon Brown forum post yesterday, where he pointed out that 80% of the weight of a bike is the rider. It doesn't matter what it's made of - it's whether you enjoy riding it or not. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:57 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 1:29 pm
Posts: 10798
Location: Manchester, UK
spatuluk wrote:
I believe there are some people who prefer riding steel. Something to do with vibrations or flex or something. I dunno - I'm deffo not an expert!

I came across a Sheldon Brown forum post yesterday, where he pointed out that 80% of the weight of a bike is the rider. It doesn't matter what it's made of - it's whether you enjoy riding it or not. :)


its all true! :D

there was a great programme on BBC TV recently about how metals originated incidentally.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:47 pm 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 2447
Location: Plymouth, UK
Still plenty of life left in the old machine. Well worth a spruce up. 1977-78 sounds about right, could be a Competition model, not sure if they made them in blue, the ones Ive seen are a rather fetching mauve.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:48 pm 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 2447
Location: Plymouth, UK
spatuluk wrote:
As far as I can tell, this all started because of the term 'gas pipe'? :?

Gas pipe isn't a dirty word.. it's just what lots of people call no-frills tubing. Personally, I prefer 'gas pipe' over 'Tru-Wel'. Whoever named it 'Tru-Wel' was obviously a man with little imagination, but at least it's better than '18-23'.. :P


I prefer Tru-Wel, or just steel frame!

Gas piping - oh no!! :facepalm:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group