Anyone know anything about this Carlton?

zhang

Old School Hero
149175550.jpeg

It's from 1977 according to the previous owner. I tried googling to see if I could find a similar bike about but most carltons seem to be road bikes with drops?

Any ideas about the tubing?

Thanks!

The bars have been replaced.

AFAIK Carlton didn't make any flat barred bikes.

If it is 1977 it is probably a gas-piper, or at the very least nothing special.

Probably be Raleigh threads too.

The serial number would help confirm the age (if it is 1977 it will start W <letter> 7)

Typical Carlton frame, wrapover stays, Crespera lugs, brazed rear brake hanger. The square outlined decals would tie in with 1977, if so the frame number should start WM7.... if my aged memory serves.

Not sure of the exact model (would have had droped bars) but pound to a penny it will begin with a C or a K ...... like "Circuit" LOL

Shaun

tiermat":1e7i7jbc said:
The bars have been replaced.

AFAIK Carlton didn't make any flat barred bikes.

If it is 1977 it is probably a gas-piper, or at the very least nothing special.

Probably be Raleigh threads too.

The serial number would help confirm the age (if it is 1977 it will start W <letter> 7)
Carlton made all sorts of special build projects inc flat bar options (a lot of these went to the USA) I had a brand new Carlton Ten as a Kid fitted with straight handle bars the bike was rejected for export due to some transfer damage & light scatches the bars were quickly swapped over to drops the ones on this model have also been swapped from racing drops to straights Regarding your daft comments "the term Gas Pipe" do you mean TI Raleigh TruWeld Tube? (Raleigh The All Steel Bicycle) Raleigh TI bought Carlton Cycles in late 1960 (not a good thing for Carlton Cycles or for the good folk of Worksop who worked there either inc My Mum/Dad and a few more relations) so it would be good business sense for Raleigh to use their own threads/tooling on run of the mill bottom end mass produced Carlton,s (Mass Produced Carltons LoL) you are right on one thing though it is nothing special just a good old steel Carlton but I,d sooner be seen on this 1977 version than any Nottingham Raleigh rubbish!

I sort of got where you were coming from there, carlton flier, made it a bit difficult though as it was all one sentence.

The point I was getting at is that I doubt it is anything special, like 531 etc with regards to the tubing.

As you state they did make specials and the majority went to the export market, so it is unlikely to have been like that originally (ok, my bad on the part of my wording), assuming the original poster is in the UK.

My comment regarding Raleigh threading was to point out a potential pitfall if wanting to update the bike, as Raleigh threaded stuff is difficult or impossible to get hold of.

A '70's Carlton is, personally, not something I would like, I prefer older ones (like the 1959 my wife rides).

FWIW I have had a flat barred Pinarello, doesn't mean they make them, in fact I know it didn't leave the factory like that as I fitted the bars (and Campag flat bar shifters). Something that I think, in all probability, has happened here.

A bit of advice to you now, carlton flier. Learn how to put stuff into sentences, how to use punctuation and how to be nice. Also don't put words in other people's mouths, if you want to quote what was said, quote it verbatim, OK? Thanks.

tiermat":qa4q71sf said:
I sort of got where you were coming from there, carlton flier, made it a bit difficult though as it was all one sentence.

The point I was getting at is that I doubt it is anything special, like 531 etc with regards to the tubing.

As you state they did make specials and the majority went to the export market, so it is unlikely to have been like that originally (ok, my bad on the part of my wording), assuming the original poster is in the UK.

My comment regarding Raleigh threading was to point out a potential pitfall if wanting to update the bike, as Raleigh threaded stuff is difficult or impossible to get hold of.

A '70's Carlton is, personally, not something I would like, I prefer older ones (like the 1959 my wife rides).

FWIW I have had a flat barred Pinarello, doesn't mean they make them, in fact I know it didn't leave the factory like that as I fitted the bars (and Campag flat bar shifters). Something that I think, in all probability, has happened here.

A bit of advice to you now, carlton flier. Learn how to put stuff into sentences, how to use punctuation and how to be nice. Also don't put words in other people's mouths, if you want to quote what was said, quote it verbatim, OK? Thanks.
Mmmmmm it started off OK then turned into the usual rant/farce from an expert on everything when I need lessons from you on punctuation I will ask.A bit of useful advise back learn your subject on Carltons before ranting on about a subject you clearly know nothing about As for a 59 Carlton I have one made at Dock Road its brilliant unlike your clever comments

carlton flier":1kmmj8uc said:
tiermat":1kmmj8uc said:

Mmmmmm it started off OK then turned into the usual rant/farce from an expert on everything when I need lessons from you on punctuation I will ask.A bit of useful advise back learn your subject on Carltons before ranting on about a subject you clearly know nothing about As for a 59 Carlton I have one made at Dock Road its brilliant unlike your clever comments

This on top of your PM leads me to just to one thing.

You are a ******* dick, Go shove your head up your arse and get a ******* life, ok? Do you know me? NO YOU ******* WELL DON'T. How do you know what I do or do not know about Carltons? Hmmm? How?

Get over it and get a life.

Nice to see you have used one full stop there, couldn't find the rest of them on your phone, could you not? Next step, find the rest of the punctuation set.

As far as I can tell, this all started because of the term 'gas pipe'? :?

Gas pipe isn't a dirty word.. it's just what lots of people call no-frills tubing. Personally, I prefer 'gas pipe' over 'Tru-Wel'. Whoever named it 'Tru-Wel' was obviously a man with little imagination, but at least it's better than '18-23'.. :p

Back