Sun frames

negaultra7

The Number Of The Beast
Hi there does anybody have any information on Sun frames? i have just been given one its Maroon/Green in colour with Benulux mechs, any information on quality popularity and value would be great
many thanks
Neil

Hi mate Ive just bought one,I dont think theyre particularly sought after but that probably depends on year and where it was made etc.I think if its got Worksop on the headbadge then it was made after 1963 but could be wrong.

Hi, there should be a serial number on the dropout, that will date it. If we had a photo, I maybe able to identify the model. Sun were taken over by Raleigh in 1960 and were absorbed by Carlton by 1961/2, hence you can determine if its a real Sun ( Birmingham ) or a Carlton Sun ( Worksop ) by the headbadge. Sun has a lowly rep mainly because Raleigh used them as basement models in the 70's and 80's. This has painted an unfair picture, between 1930's and mid fifties, they were a well respected mid range builder. Terry

Hi, this looks like a early mid sixties Carlton Sun, the wrapover stay is pure Carlton, and the Worksop badge confirms this. My logic with the date, concerns the EUUT tubing, which was the 'gas pipe' tubing used by Sun in the late fifties, so I presume it was used up to the point where Carlton started using TruWel gaspipe which I believe was mid sixties. The benelux 60 lever also points to early sixties. You've some nice frames there, enjoy. Terry

Thanks for the info, is it quite a sought after frame would you say its valuable to a collector?
Thanks
Neil

Hi, the value is in the eye of the beholder, the gaspipe tubing will mark it down as far as collectors are concerned, and it is a Worksop Sun, but as far as a restorable classic piece of steel, it has a value, not a lot, but someone somewhere will take it on, and enjoy it for what it is. Fleabay is a good guide to actual values. Terry

Truwel 'gas pipe' tubing does NOT mark a bike down with a collector. Pure arrogant RUBBISH.

Back