Hello and information sought on Carlton frame

bikenrrd

Old School Hero
Hello. I've been cycling off and on for most of my life and pretty actively on for the past 8 years. Cycling runs in the family as both my Grandfathers were keen cyclists.

I've recently inherited the contents of one of my Grandad's lofts and, amongst some NOS Shimano 600 Arabesque stuff, Zeus chainsets and Campag on Fiamme sprint wheels were 3 frames. One I believe is a Holdsworth Mistral from the 1960s, another is a Ron Kitching and the final one is a Carlton Competition pictured below.

Does anyone know when these frames were manufactured and where they featured in the line up? It has the original paint and doesn't appear to have been built or ridden. The sticker says "531 butted main tubes", so I guess the rear triangle is either plain gauge 531 or 4130 cro-mo?

Cheers, Neil.

Attachments

• img_0553s.jpg
    img_0553s.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 414
The Carlton Competition was a frame only IIRC.......they kept the name but upgraded them over the years to follow fashion. After all there are only so many names beginning with C or K LOL

That looks like an early 70's frame but may be wrong. We had the odd Carlton frame hanging in the shop where I worked. I remember the Carlton Clubman as it was cheap and the glorious colour (Lagoon Blue) of the Professional..

Googling should bring up some info :)

Shaun

Back